Have you Ever Considered Putting a Book Together?

Dear Dr. Frascino, My therapist turned me on to this website and l cannot thank him enough! Your site not only informative, but it is easily navigated kudos to your web designers. I find myself often printing out portions of your Ask the Experts section and reading them to the fantastic guy Im dating. Im pretty sure Im not the only person who does this which brings me to my question. Have you ever considered putting Ask the Experts into a book format?

Javier

Hey Javier,

Well, I've never seriously considered a book based on my cyber-sex advice; however, certainly a number of forum readers certainly have. I'll repost only a partial list below. Certainly, if anyone wants to take this project on, they have my blessings (and condolences!).

The Frascino Job: new movie idea. Jul 13, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob, I just saw Bob Bowers- The Fire Within a story about an hiv survivor and the challenges he faces living 17 years at the time movie was made with hiv. It really made me cry and realize how precious each day of life really is. I was wondering why you dont put out a film call it whatever you like- i thought the Frascino Job for example but i bet you could spice that up a bit to your own style and film quite a show. Millions of people would love to see it. Just an idea.

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your kind comments. As for a Dr. Bob movie, well, as it turns out, you're not the first to suggest it (see below). There have also been suggestions for several books, such as a biography or a book of quotes, "Dr. Bobisms." And someone a while back wanted to create a Broadway musical about me. Hey! Now we're talking!

When's the Movie Coming Out? Oct 16, 2006

Hey Doc, Happy Camper, again, here. With the amount of work, contributions and sincere emotional support you've given to others, there should be a movie made about you. At least one made for T.V. I'm sure a network like "Lifetime" would take up such an opportunity. I'd watch it, and buy the DVD. Someone like Noah Wiley can play you. He needs a job and did play a doctor on ER. If not a movie, then, for sure, a biographical novel. It would be a best seller on my list. Let me know when either one will premere. Take Care Happy Camper

Hey Happy Camper,

Noah Wiley? Yeah, well OK, but I was kind of hoping for George Clooney or Brad Pitt.

"Lifetime," well, OK, but I was hoping for HBO. Fewer words would need to be beeped out.

Biographical novel? Well, OK, but I was hoping for a Harry Potter-type seven-book contract with movie rights.

So, if truth be told, I have done a professional TV commercial shot by a L.A. film studio and filmed on location in Florida. So far it has had only limited distribution. I also had a very brief appearance on the TV show "30 Days." I'm still hoping to be joining Ellen DeGeneres on stage for this year's Academy Awards show for one of these performances. . . . We'll see . . . .

Until then, I guess it's on to the next happy camper questioner.

Ciao,

We care Bob, how are YOU? May 26, 2004

Hi Bob,

As an avid reader since you started on the Safe Sex, Transmission, Educational forum I have thoroughly enjoyed first- your GREAT HUMOUR and of course the political tidbits. My question to you is about the future good sir. How are you??? Is your health ok? We regulars worry about you, but I guess with your vast HIV knowledge you are able to treat this bloody virus OK. I am really rooting for you Bob. This world needs you and i think you are a courageous fighter. Maybe one day somebody will make documentary about your life. I think it would be great cinema and a great story.

Your pal, Evan.

Hello Evan,

Both your concern and support are warmly appreciated. Thank you!

Gosh, with the things that "regulars" reading this forum tend to worry about, I hope they don't spend too much time worrying about me! Thanks also for the title of "courageous fighter." Although I've always thought of myself as more of a lover than a fighter, I certainly will do everything in my power to win the war on AIDS. Speaking of titles, San Jose Mercury News did a feature story on me in the Sunday Magazine section a while back. The title in large letters, sprawled across the magazine cover of me at the piano, read, "Casualty of War." I appreciated the article, but did wish the title had been "Wounded in Action," or something like that. I really don't count myself as a casualty just yet.

As for making a documentary about my life experiences, what would we call it? "Men are from Mars, Women are form Venus, Dr. Bob is from Sex-Cyberspace?" I don't think my experiences can match Harry Potter's. Perhaps we should just wait until HBO agrees to turn my life into a miniseries or until Stephen Sondheim turns it into a Broadway musical. Hugh Jackson, when he's finished playing Peter Allen in The Boy from Oz can play Dr. Bob in "The Boy from Poz!"

Stay well.

Have you thought of a book (Heineken-Up-The Heine Guy) Mar 20, 2008

Dear Dr Bob I think the world of you and would like to know if you have thought about collecting your questions in book form. (With details changed to protect the writer) My feeling is that your website has the total pulse on what people experience in the world today, their fears, quirks, foibles, the worried well, the reckless, etc. I think it would be valuable statement of the times in which we live. Just an idea. And again please know that you are one of the true wonders of the world for the work that you do.

Actually several readers have taken the initiative to start several different books of Dr. Bobisms over the years, but so far none has made it to press. Reviewing the archives could be a rather daunting task. However, if any enterprising forum fanatics want to attempt a Dr. Bob's Greatest Hits Collection, they certainly have my blessing. Just imagine if such a book made it onto Oprah's Book Club list! Although I tend to think many questions might be more suited to Jon Stewart's Daily Show. I'm not sure what Oprah would say about Heineken-Up-The-Heinie Guy. (See below.)

Can I get HIV from dried spit inserted in anus? Mar 8, 2007

Okay, I'm really worried that I might have gotten HIV last week. I'm so paranoid that I'm having trouble focusing in school and at work. Please answer this please!!! This is what happened. I came home from work and went straight to take a bath. My dad had told me that 2 of his cousins were staying the night with us. While in the bath I saw a beer bottle and decided to use it for anal pleasure. after having it been inserted in me for a few seconds (15- 30) I relized THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN MY COUSINS USED BEAR BOTTLE!!!! I immediatly stopped and threw the bottle away. I also immediatly stopped pleasuring myself anally. I'm not sure that my dads cousins have AIDS, but they are promiscuous and I don't believe I had any tears in my rectum or anus. However, 3- 4 days before this happened I had stomach problems and had to wipe my anus while on the toilet. I did this many times and by the time my stomach stopped hurting the area around my anus was very sore and I'm sure that i had a few small abrasians from wiping so much. But I do believe that these healed before my beer bottle encounter and the beer bottle was dry (the saliva was dry). Is it likly that I could have gotten HIV from this. I plan on getting tested but I need to know something while I'm in the window period. Please please please respond to this. I'm very scared and will never do anything like this again.

You stuck a beer bottle up your butt??? Hmmm . . . OK, let's review. When out drinking beer and someone yells "bottoms up," that's not what they mean, OK?

Returning now to your question, your HIV risk from your Heineken-up-the-heinie experience is nonexistent. But there can be other risks from ramming a Bud up your rosebud. So please be more discerning when choosing toys for your backdoor action.

Are my Symptoms a sign of early HIV infection Mar 16, 2007

Hi, I recently posted a question on this site about my risk of catching HIV. My post was responded and it told me I had ZERO-Risk! However, I'm still a little worried and want to know if the symptoms I'm suffering from are HIV related. My ZERO- RISK exposure happened 2 and a half weeks ago. My symptoms are as follows: 1. 1 day of diarreah (I'm not too worried about this becuase I had eaten spicy food the day before.) 2. I had a canker sore ( my doctor told me it was from stress) 3. Slight lower rib cage discomfort. 4. It's hard to explain this but my throat is slightly sore but only in my lower throat. It also feels as if I'm having trouble breathing. Like my lungs are trying to puch the air I breath out. All of these symptoms are very much mild however, I'm freakin out about numbers 4 and 3 becuase I don't recall ever feeling this way. Thankyou for your time. P.S. you might remember me "Heinikin-in the-hiny".

Hello Heineken-up-the-Heinie Guy,

Are you back again??? Exactly what part of "nonexistent risk" are you having difficulty understanding.

Dude, HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. Consequently, your symptoms could not possibly be HIV related, right? Of course right!

A Few more "What If's" and Risk Apr 6, 2007

Hey Dr. Bob, it's Hieniken-up-the-Hiny Guy again. I've been coping weel for the last two weeks, but I've recently put myself back into a panic. Please just entertain this one last question even though you've already answered me. Okay so the bottle... it was on the back of the toilet so the person who used it probably was taking a crap... so if a minimal amount of feces was on it and if the person using it had spit into it and had blood in their mouth is there more of a risk? Even though it wasn't used for at least 20 minutes? Also, I have a small rash, which my parent think is a heat rash, and a sore throat and a few bumps on my inner thigh. I'm so worried. I understand that there are many people who have questions far greater than mine and I understand if it takes you a while to answer this question but please do. Thanks, you're an awesome person!

OK, Heineken-Up-The Heine Guy,

Enough is enough. Looks like I'm going to have to put out a restraining order on you! Dude, it's time for you to see a psychiatrist. You are what-if-ing yourself right into the loony bin! You may think you've been coping "weel," but I can assure you, if you are concocting scenarios like the possibility of poop on a beer bottle that an HIV-positive guy with a bloody mouth then spit into before you decided to shove the whole kit and caboodle up where the sun don't shine, well, let me tell you, you don't need an HIV expert; you need a shrink's couch. Just to calm your completely whacko fears once again, see below. And why are you going to learn the correct spelling of Heineken and Heine?

Just on confirm a few doubts Dec 14, 2006

I'm from the UK and I just need to confirms some doubts. Firstly, can HIV be transmitted by Saliva, because I shared some food with a person I had only know for a day.

Secondly, thus may be a silly question, but can HIV be transmitted by touching a steering wheel (hands get sweaty) then touching your willy?

Thanks a lot!

You want to "confirm some doubts???" Boy, have you come to the wrong place. Sorry, I cannot "confirm" your doubts about spit and sweat transmitting HIV. However, I'd be more than delighted to dispel those doubts. And while we are on the subject of non-infectious bodily secretions, I may as well include the whole list (see below) as well as some more basic facts about HIV transmission (see below).

Get informed! Stay safe! Stay well!

hiv in nasal mucus? Aug 12, 2006

Dear dr. Frascino, does nasal mucus contain HIV and can an accidental ingestion of nasal mucus of a person with HIV and not on HAART be at risk? Thank you!

Nasal secretions similar to saliva, sputum, sweat, tears, urine, vomitus and feces are not implicated in the transmission of HIV, unless they contain visible blood.

Out of curiosity, how did you mange to "accidentally" chow down some HIV positive boogers?

Have you considered a book of stupid questions? Jun 13, 2006

After Reading Chicken boy's question, sharing it with all my co-workers and frankly laughing my self to death. I was wondering if you have considered publishing a book or web site of these Gems?

If anything it clearly refutes the old claim that there is no such thing as a stupid question... You rock Dr Bob and Thanks.

I haven't been approached by Oprah's Book Club folks to publish these "gems" yet, but if someone has extra time on their hands and wants to cull through the gazillions of posts in the archives and pull out those that cause fits of pants-wetting hysteria, I'd be happy to endorse the book, write a preface and take a book jacket photo wearing only my 2xist tighty whities.

Any takers?

Did You Get Any Takers? Jun 22, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob,

So, we all know you rock ...did you get any offers for culling the gazillion questions?

Really now, what about a book that has funny and serious rolled into one and rolled out for Oprah, etc.? You could split things out, going from your written answers to snipets.....and no, I'm not a publisher, but a homemaker who's lost to many friends to this virus in the Hemophilia Community. Put all the proceeds to your charity...

What do you think?

Much love to you

Janelle

Hi Janelle,

Well, there were a few questioners who wrote in saying it would be an excellent idea, but none exactly volunteered to begin sorting through the archives in preparation for "Dr. Bob's Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex (and probably lots of stuff you never even considered), but Were Afraid to Ask." I should mention there was one guy who said he would do it if the book jacket photo was "sans tighty whities" and if I titled the book "Something Liquid This Way Cums"!!! Hmmm . . .

So the original offer still stands, if anyone has extra time on their hands or is looking for a special project over the summer months. We have restructured some of the summary categories for the archives and have included a new heading, "Funny Questions," so that ultimately may be a good source of material.

Stay tuned to the forum, Janelle, and I'll let you know as soon as Oprah calls.

Be well. Stay well.

Strange But True Mar 22, 2007

Dr. Frascino:

I do not have enough time in my schedule to read all the "Strange But True" answers you give. They are so often laugh-out-loud hilarious. Both the questions and your answers. Please... if you have not considered it... publish a book of the best ones!

Just Call me a Fan!

David

Hi David,

Believe it or not, several folks have indeed considered publishing a book of Dr. Bobisms. I'll let you know as soon as it hits Oprah's booklist.

Sure, I'll call you a fan . . . or a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner or a bidet or whatever you want. I'm easy.

I haven't laughed so much in years!!!! Apr 5, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob You're absolutely ace!!I love coming back every so often (i.e whenever I start getting paranoid about my HIV status which by the way has always been negative) to check out the posts. I came across this post dated 19th March titled Insertive Mastebation and HIV.(sic) Well,what can I say!I've never laughed so much in all my life!!!!You've got to include this post in your future book of memoirs!I loved your reply! Thanks again dr Bob!

Include it in my memoirs? Sure. But I'm still hoping we can get the best posts transformed into an HBO series. With Sex in the City and Six Feet Under now gone and the Sopranos coming to an end, the timing might just be right.

Keep smiling! After all, smiling is the second (or perhaps 3rd?) best thing you can do with your lips!

Insertive Mastebation and HIV

Hi well I did Insertive mastebation with a television converter.I have had symptoms of an STD but i have never had oral, vaginal or anal sex. I have only done insertive masterbation. Does this mean I could have HIV??

A television converter??? So you wanted to be able to masturbate in both analog and digital formats?? I'm almost afraid to ask where you stuck the remote control! Listen up, sweetie, television converters, although battery operated and perhaps conveniently shaped, are, in reality, not dildos and are not designed for use in your personal "home entertainment center" (so to speak), but rather they are to be used with the other home entertainment center the one you bought at Circuit City!

Next, if you've never had oral, vaginal or anal sex, how could you possibly wonder if you have HIV??? Do you think your television converter is cheating on you??? I strongly suggest you spend some time reading through the archives and related links pertaining to sex, safer sex and HIV transmission. It appears you have much to learn. You may also need to call the TV repairman if your converter is no longer functioning.

confused about testing
Are you a betting man, Dr Bob?