Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

coxsackie virus - b
Oct 16, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob, You helped me about 6 months ago and here I am back wondering what's wronig with me. I was diagnosed with Lymes disease last February and have recovered. I was worried then about cross reactions between lymes and hiv. Now I recently found out I have coxsackie Virus-B...I had severe chest pains and my doctor ran a blood test and it came up that I have coxsackie-b. I am pretty weirded out that i could have two illnesses like this..is there a cross reaction between coxsackie-b and hiv sera testing? I had two rapid hiv tests which were both negative over the summer. No new risks for at least 3 years. Should I be retested for hiv? Thank you for your help... Perplexed

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Perplexed,

You're wondering what's "wronig" with you? Hmm . . . well, from your post it appears you had Lyme's disease last February and more recently had a bout of coxsackie virus. (That virus always sounds like it has sexual connotations to me.)

As for what's right with you, you don't have HIV. Your two negative HIV tests are conclusive.

Why are you even worried about "cross reactions" between coxsackievirus and HIV??? Cross-reacting antibodies could cause a false-positive, not a false-negative HIV-antibody test result. You are HIV negative. Yell WOO-HOO and stop worrying.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob, I need some help (SWISS AIDS COMMISSION REPORT) (MAGNETIC COUPLE RISK, 2008)
Next
OCD update - bloody towels, bloody toilet, bloody everything

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.