no documented cases?
Oct 16, 2008
Hi Doc, I have two questions - 1) Is the song 'A certain smile' by Johanny Mathis about you? - I think it is! 2) Some American based websites say insertive fellatio carries a zero risk as there has never been a documented case of anyone being infected this way and say the this is epidemilogical and scientific fact. I see your views are more conservative. Are these websites not being irresponsible by disseminating information that people will base there behaviours on? Stay beautiful, your fan.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. "A certain smile" was not written for me. Someone did write a song for me once; however, it concerned a body part other than my smile. (No, I can't publish the lyrics; they wouldn't make it through the censors.)
2. I believe there is a difference between "no documented cases" and "zero risk." There certainly are "reported cases" of HIV acquisition from oral sex (both insertive and receptive). Scientifically, "documenting" such cases would be difficult to do without inviting the sex police into the bedroom to assure the only potential HIV risk was indeed insertive oral sex. There is also the problem of extenuating circumstances and confounding variables. For instance, if someone has certain concurrent STDs, that significantly increases the risk of HIV transmission via oral sex. Likewise, if the oral sex involves vigorous deep-throating and trauma occurs to either the probing tallywhacker or the talented sucker who has no gag reflex, this, too, could increase HIV-transmission/acquisition risk. The important take-home message remains that oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition and that, as with all forms of penetrative sex, the insertive partner faces less risk than the receptive partner. I don't believe this is a conservative view, but rather an accurate assessment of the scientific realities surrounding the risk of HIV transmission related to oral sex. Hope that helps!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Dizziness A Symptom Of HIV?
- Is Testicular Pain A Symptom Of HIV?
- Itchy Red Spots After Sensual Massage Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Night Sweats After Sex With Sex Worker Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Glands After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Does Pineapple Juice Help With Vaginitis?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.