The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anxiety or HIV

Oct 16, 2008

7 weeks ago i had unprotected anal sex with a person who showed me a negative HIV test 2 weeks old. After that, i had tremendous stress and anxiety on work and since then, i had muscle ache, itching skin for almost 2-3 weeks, i had a flu (5-6 weeks afterward) which lasted 4-5 days with muscle aches and headaches plus the regular itches. I am very afraid because these are the same symptoms for acute HIV. Plus, i have some joint pain on my shoulder and slight muscle ache. So, my question is - is my stress, anxiety and fear of HIV playing games with me and show me things that don't really exist, or should i test for HIV?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Unprotected sex places you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Even if your buddy did have an HIV-negative test two weeks ago, that would leave him a whole 14 days prior to your unsafe romp during which he could have played commando-Rambo-Brokeback Mountain with other dudes. Should you get tested for HIV? Absolutely. You placed yourself at risk and therefore need HIV testing at the three-month mark, whether or not you have symptoms.

Symptoms, by the way, are very unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The reason to worry and to test is HIV-risk exposure and not whether or not one experiences symptoms.

I urge you never to put yourself at risk again.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

False positive?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint