worry about hiv2

Good afternoon,Doctor!I have a serious problem:my ex husband worked in Ghana 17 years ago.I knew that he lived there with a woman,now he has aids associated deseases,but he doesn`t want to do a test.I decided to do it in Italy,it is neg.But the problem is that they don`t say if this test shows antibodies for hiv 2.They don`t know where can I do such a test.So my question is the test that is normally done in hospitals can show antibodies for hiv2 or I should search for a specific test?I need Your advice,because nobody can answer me here.I have children,so I want to check them also..Please,answer my question.Flavia.

Hello Flavia,

Sorry but I have no way of knowing exactly which "test that is normally done in hospitals" you had done. Some routine HIV-screening tests do include both HIV-1 and HIV-2; others only screen for HIV-1. Because your husband had exposure in Ghana, which is an endemic area for HIV-2, I would suggest you be screened for HIV-2. These test assays are widely available in Italy. Check with an HIV physician specialist if you have difficulty finding a place to have the test performed.

I'm also concerned that your husband has "AIDS associated diseases," but refuses to get tested. Continue to encourage him to get evaluated and treated as needed. Perhaps you could encourage him to read this Web site. He's obviously too frightened to seek care. Untreated HIV/AIDS will eventually lead to his early and very preventable death from AIDS-related opportunistic infections. When it comes to HIV/AIDS, denial is deadly. What he doesn't know can kill him!

Good luck to you both.

HIV ANAL WART (Human Papillomavirus (HPV))
TMI-2