HIV ANAL WART (Human Papillomavirus (HPV))

HI i have just been told by my doc i have an anal wart, im realley scared about HIV and i always use a condom so does the other guy, i dont know how ive got this wart if we both use protection(several partner) is there any risk of me getting HIV BEN

Hello Ben,

Anal warts are caused by HPV (human papilloma virus). Unlike HIV, HPV can be transmitted by mere skin-to-skin contact. Condoms cover your tallywhacker, but when you're in the saddle pounding away, there is plenty of skin-to-skin contact that is not latex protected. I'll reprint below some information about HPV from the archives.

As far as your HIV risk, if you use latex (or polyurethane) condoms properly and they don't fail, your risk would be essentially nonexistent. HIV can not permeate intact latex. No way. No how. (No McCain. No Sarah "I can see Russia from my house!" Palin.)

HPV and HIV (one in the same) Aug 24, 2007

Is HPV and HIV one in the same? And if so how are they related? I am currently seeing someone who as of last night told me that she has HPV (we have not had any type of sexual contact at this point). What should I do to protect myself? What risks am I taking? She contracted HPV from her husband who was having an affair unkonwn to her until she had a gynocological exam after the birth of her daugther 4 years ago (nice guy, and he is a physician, what an ass). Please explain to me what to worry about and what not to worry about, she is someone I truly care about.

Concerned.

Hello Concerned,

HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) and HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) are not one in the same! In fact, they are very distinct and different viruses that cause very different illnesses. HPV causes warts, whereas HIV causes AIDS. See below.

hiv and hpv May 20, 2007

My path report showed CIN-I and HPV. Does this mean I am positive for HIV?

No, HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) and HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) are two very distinct viruses. Testing positive for one does not automatically mean you are positive for the other. CiN-1 stands for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia stage 1. This condition can be cause by several strains of HPV. It will require follow-up with your gynecologist. If you've placed yourself at risk for HIV (unprotected sex, sharing IV drug paraphernalia, etc.), you'll need a specific HIV test three months or more after your last potential exposure. You can read much more about HPV and HIV in the archives. I'll reprint some information about HPV below.

HPV and HIV May 17, 2006

Hello, My boyfriend has HIV and I do not. We have protected vaginal sex daily and he performs oral sex on me regularly. I also perform oral sex on him, but only for a few minutes, and never to the point of ejaculation. We have also engaged in some light rimming. He has a good Infectious Disease Specialist. I get tested regularly for HIV.

Recently, after seeing a commercial on television that talked about the correlation between HPV and cervical cancer, he mentioned that his last two girlfriends (they were before he knew he had HIV, and they had unprotected sex) had abnormal cells that were scraped off/frozen from their cervices (sp?). Anyway, this kinda freaked me out. I have never noticed any lesions on him. He can't go in for an examination yet, because his health insurance is not in effect yet.

I have not noticed any lesions on myself, but thanks to our public school system sex education, we don't have any information on HPV. Thank God for that commercial.

1) Can we still have oral sex? 2) Can he be tested for HPV? 3) If I have it, will I have an outbreak? 4) Does this disease go away or will he/we have it for the rest of his/our lives? 5) If I have the cancerous type, and the abnormal cells are removed, am I contagious to him for reinfection? 6) Is [male condom] protected sex good enough if we don't see any lesions?

The first step is to learn a bit more about HPV. I'll post an item from the archives below that addresses the basic facts about HPV. It addresses most of the specific questions you raise. The next step is to find out if your boyfriend has HPV or not. His HIV specialist will screen him. If you have additional questions after that, write back and I'll try to assist.

Be well. Stay well.

Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

November 21, 2007

What Is HPV?

How Is HPV Detected?

Can HPV Infection Be Prevented?

How Are HPV Infections Treated?

The Bottom Line

NOTE: In the U.S., counseling and referrals are available on a national human papillomavirus (HPV) hotline. Call toll-free at 877-HPV-5868 (877-478-5868.)

What Is HPV? There are over 100 viruses known as human papilloma virus (HPV.) They are common. One study found HPV in 77% of HIV-positive women. HPV is transmitted easily during sexual activity. It is estimated that 75% of all sexually active people between ages 15 and 49 get at least one type of HPV infection. Some types of HPV cause common warts of the hands or feet. Infections of the hands and feet are usually not transmitted through sexual activity. Several types of HPV cause genital warts on the penis, vagina, and rectum. Those with HIV can get worse sores in the rectum and cervical areas. HPV can also cause problems in the mouth or on the tongue or lips. Other types of HPV can cause abnormal cell growth known as dysplasia. Dysplasia can develop into anal cancer in men and women, or cervical cancer, or cancer of the penis.

Dysplasia around the anus is called anal intraepithelial neoplasia (AIN). Anal intraepithelial neoplasia is the development of new abnormal cells in the lining of the anus. Dysplasia in the cervical region is called cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN). AIN or CIN appear to be more common in people with HIV infection than those who are HIV negative.

How Is HPV Detected? To detect HPV, health care providers look first for the problems HPVs cause: dysplasia or genital warts. Dysplasia can be detected by Pap smears. They are usually used to check a woman's cervix. They can also be used to check the anus in men and women. A swab is rubbed on the area being checked to pick up some cells. They are smeared on a glass slide and examined under a microscope.

Reflex HPV testing is used to follow up on Pap smear results that are not clear. It can indicate who needs more careful examination or treatment. The reflex test identifies which types of HPV are present and can indicate if aggressive treatment is needed.

Some researchers believe that anal and cervical smears should be checked each year for people with elevated risk:

People who have had receptive anal intercourse Women who have had cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) Anyone with under 500 CD4 cells. However, other researchers think that careful physical examination can detect as many cases of anal cancer as anal Pap testing.

Genital warts can appear anywhere from a few weeks to a few months after you are exposed to HPV. The warts might look like small bumps. Sometimes they are fleshy and look like small cauliflowers. They can get bigger over time.

Your health care provider can usually tell if you have genital warts by looking at them. Sometimes a tool called an anoscope is used to look at the anal area. If necessary, a sample of the suspected wart will be cut off and examined under a microscope. This is called a biopsy.

Genital warts are not caused by the same HPV that causes cancer. However, if you have warts, you may have also been exposed to other types of HPV that could cause cancer.

Can HPV Infection Be Prevented? There is no easy way to tell if someone is infected with an HPV. People who don't have any signs or symptoms of HPV infection can transmit the infection.

Condoms do not totally prevent transmission of HPVs. HPVs can be transmitted by direct contact with infected areas that aren't covered by a condom. Men and women with HIV who are sexually active may want to have a regular Pap smear, anal and/or vaginal, to check for abnormal cells or early signs of warts. A positive result can be followed up to see if treatment is needed.

A vaccine called Gardasil was approved in 2006. However, it has not been tested in or approved for people already infected with HPV.

How Are HPV Infections Treated? There is no direct treatment for HPV infection. Some people "clear" an HPV infection (are "cured"). They can later be infected with HPV again. However, dysplasias and warts can be removed. There are several ways to do this:

Burning them with an electric needle (electrocautery) or a laser Freezing them with liquid nitrogen Cutting them out Treating them with chemicals Other, less common treatments for warts include the drugs 5-FU (5-fluorouracil) and Interferon-alpha. A new drug, imiquimod (Aldara®), has been approved for treatment of genital warts. Cidofovir (Vistide®), originally developed to fight cytomegalovirus (CMV), might also help fight HPV.

HPV infection can last for a long time, especially in people who are HIV-positive. Dysplasia and warts can return. They should be treated as soon as they are found to reduce the chances of the problem spreading or returning.

The Bottom Line Human papilloma viruses (HPV) are fairly common. Different types of HPV cause warts or abnormal cell growth (dysplasia) in or near the anus or cervix. This abnormal cell growth can result in cervical or anal cancer. Genital HPV infections are transmitted through sexual activity.

HPV infection can last a long time, especially in people with HIV.

A Pap smear can detect abnormal cell growth in the cervix. It can also be used to check the anus of men and women. Although Pap smears may be the best way to detect early cervical cancer, careful physical examination may be the best way to detect anal cancers.

The signs of HPV infection -- warts or dysplasia -- should be treated as soon as they show up. Otherwise, the problem could spread and be more likely to return after treatment.

For more information, see the Web site www.thehpvtest.com/.

Strange Question
worry about hiv2