Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

A quick thank you.

Dear Doc

I posted a query on your forum after getting tested by HIV duo out to 9.5 weeks. I'm happy to say that my 12 week HIV duo also came back negative!! i'm sure your not suprised doc (p.s you said it would be!!). I thought i would take a moment to say that over the last few weeks my knowledge of the illness has improved and that i am now helping out at a local centre for HIV + individuals. This has been a very humbling experience and i have met some wonderful people.

I would also just like to say that after my moment of insane stupidity i suffered from many symptoms including thrush oral and "down below", a rash, a sore throat "Pharinjitus" (spelling??) and swollen lymph nodes in my groin and neck!! does this sound like something? If you google it i'm sure it does, so i just wanted to say stay safe get tested it's the only way to know!! don't rely on symptoms as i wasted three months of my life ignoring my HIV specialist (who was right and said that i didn't have anything wrong) and ended up inflicting all these sypmtoms on myself through stress ans anexity. I still have to see someone to deal with these issues.

SO just be safe and happy.

Chris x

Doc you are a godsend. bless you.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your thanks and for taking the time to write in and share your good news. WOO-HOO! I'm pleased both your HIV specialist and I were right and I'm absolutely delighted you are helping out at your local AIDS service organization. I'm confident you will find the experience rewarding in many unexpected ways.

I'll repost below your original question for the benefit of our readers, some of whom are still trapped in their self-inflected worried-well hell. Hopefully your testimonial will help calm their fears or, as you put it, "stress ans anexity."

Be well. Stay well.

Please Please Help!! Oct 6, 2008

Dear Lovely guys at Thebody.

Thank you for running this site it has helped me immensly over the last few weeks.I have felt like i'm going out my mind with worry.Please let me explain my problem, i stupidly slept with one girl unprotected whose status i did not know 3 times over the course of about two weeks, i then developed some funny symptoms about 4-5 weeks later so Googled them which was a big mistake as HIV flashed up so i went for a HIV duo test and full STD screen at a private clininc, it was all negative, however my sore throat continued so at 7 weeks i sheepishly returned and got another DUO test, again Negative. My sypmtoms have been ongoing though and at around 9 weeks my lymph nodes in my groin and neck started swelling and i had "sensations" for want of a better in the other nodes around my body. I again decided on an HIV DUO test at 9.5 weeks which was negative again. However i have had a rash, thrush, lymph nodes enlarged and a fever but keep coming up negative. The HIV consultant told me there was no chance i could have HIV after all these tests but i'm still worried as to why all these things are croping up, would you have any advice on what to do? As he said everything was anexity based and would go! However i have never heard of enlarged Lymph nodes jus from anexity. please help? P.s i'm ushally very athletic and haven't been ill for years!

Kind Regards Chris

P.s of coursea donation wil be made sites like these help everyone like me and if i can spend a little to help people stop making mistakes like i did it's worth it!!

Hello "ushally very athletic" Chris,

Would I have any advice on what to do? Absofrickinlutely! After all, that's what I'm here for, right? I'm the advice guy.

My advice is simple: listen to your HIV consultant!!! He really does know what he's talking about. The vast majority of HIV-infected individuals will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies and p24 antigen in their blood within four to six weeks. Your three negative HIV DUO tests out to 9.5 weeks are extremely encouraging! Although you'll need a test at the three-month mark for a definitive and conclusive result, at this point your chances of being HIV infected are extremely remote.

As for symptoms, the golden rule is that a negative HIV test trumps symptoms each and every time. Anxiety can produce an astounding array of symptoms. Just take a read through the archives of this forum and you'll see what I mean. We have an entire chapter dedicated to symptoms.

Chris, thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month HIV test remains negative. I'm extremely confident it will. Write back and let me know, OK?

Be well Chris. I'm here if you need me, but I doubt that you will!

Sustiva reaction 3 years later
Help needlestick!