conflicting opinions on my test results, don't know what to think and only trust you guys!

nothin' you wascilly wabbit... oh wait, wrong phrase.

anyway doc, got a question, shocking i know. actually, it's more than one, even more shocking.

i live in new york and had an unprotected (vaginal)one-nighter with a random girl that i have not been in contact with since; oh yeah, i'm a guy.

so i read that the stats in new york are way worse than the rest of the country and i wigged out, and of course the barrage of physical symptoms followed. i had a negative test result a couple days past 9 weeks post-exposure (65 days). the person who administered the test (oraquick advance) told me that i can rest assured that i am hiv negative as a result of the test, even at only 65 days.

of course, the next day i got a sore throat that lasted for a couple days, no fever, but the anxiety came screaming back. i have read from other doctors and organizations claiming that 9 weeks is solid in terms of a negative result.

my questions: would you be worried about a sore throat developing at 9.5 weeks post-exposure and after having a 9 week negative result? also, can i trust the counselor and organization that my test is indeed definitive? lastly, would it be irresponsible to accept my result and move on?

i've lived through most the torture of making a mistake like this and dealing with the nightmare that goes on in one's head... do i have to deal with another month of it? or can i be relieved (i'm so scared to let my guard down in case my chances are still high that i could be positive)? i just want to know if i can or should trust the others i've talked to about this. any response would be most appreciated. thank you, and thanks for all you do. your devotion to helping others will be one hell of a legacy.

Hey there Elmer Fud,

Would I worry about a sore throat developing 9.5 weeks post-exposure after having a 9-week negative HIV test? Nope!

Can you trust the counselor that your 9-week negative test is definitive? Nope! The guidelines still state 3 months are required for a conclusive result.

Would it be irresponsible to accept your result and move on? Well, not exactly irresponsible, because your negative 9-week result is extremely encouraging. But, because of the guidelines, I'd still recommend repeating it at the 3-month mark. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you are HIV negative.

Dr. Wascally Wabbit

Worried
Okay Damm_t!