Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

conflicting opinions on my test results, don't know what to think and only trust you guys!
Oct 13, 2008

nothin' you wascilly wabbit... oh wait, wrong phrase.

anyway doc, got a question, shocking i know. actually, it's more than one, even more shocking.

i live in new york and had an unprotected (vaginal)one-nighter with a random girl that i have not been in contact with since; oh yeah, i'm a guy.

so i read that the stats in new york are way worse than the rest of the country and i wigged out, and of course the barrage of physical symptoms followed. i had a negative test result a couple days past 9 weeks post-exposure (65 days). the person who administered the test (oraquick advance) told me that i can rest assured that i am hiv negative as a result of the test, even at only 65 days.

of course, the next day i got a sore throat that lasted for a couple days, no fever, but the anxiety came screaming back. i have read from other doctors and organizations claiming that 9 weeks is solid in terms of a negative result.

my questions: would you be worried about a sore throat developing at 9.5 weeks post-exposure and after having a 9 week negative result? also, can i trust the counselor and organization that my test is indeed definitive? lastly, would it be irresponsible to accept my result and move on?

i've lived through most the torture of making a mistake like this and dealing with the nightmare that goes on in one's head... do i have to deal with another month of it? or can i be relieved (i'm so scared to let my guard down in case my chances are still high that i could be positive)? i just want to know if i can or should trust the others i've talked to about this. any response would be most appreciated. thank you, and thanks for all you do. your devotion to helping others will be one hell of a legacy.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey there Elmer Fud,

Would I worry about a sore throat developing 9.5 weeks post-exposure after having a 9-week negative HIV test? Nope!

Can you trust the counselor that your 9-week negative test is definitive? Nope! The guidelines still state 3 months are required for a conclusive result.

Would it be irresponsible to accept your result and move on? Well, not exactly irresponsible, because your negative 9-week result is extremely encouraging. But, because of the guidelines, I'd still recommend repeating it at the 3-month mark. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you are HIV negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Wascally Wabbit

Previous
Worried
Next
Okay Damm_t!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.