FalseRE: Positive? Uni-gold rapid test

Dr. Bob,

Thanks for answering my question and to no surprise "YOU ARE RIGHT AGAIN".

The ENT didn't find any thrush just post nasal drip and GERD. My GP ELISA results came back non-reactive (Woo-Hoo)!! What a rough couple of days. I have learned from this false positive--testing to relieve my nerves can backfire. My GP has referred me to a counselor to get over this unwarranted fear.

Again, thanks for all you do...

WOO-HOO! Thanks for writing back and sharing your good news. I agree the counseling would be a good idea. Irrational fear is extremely uncomfortable and debilitating!

Be well. Stay well.

False Positive? Uni-gold rapid test Oct 7, 2008

Dr Bob,

Thanks for all the work you do; you really are moving the fight forward. I have donated and plan to keep donating. Can you respond to me one more time, please?

Quick question, I have had a sore throat that I have not been able to shake. I think I see thrush on my throat looking into a mirror with a flashlight. It would be deep in the throat not on the roof or sides of the mouth (behind the tonsils). Went to my GP and he gave me a round of anti-biotic. After 10 days the throat wasn't any better so I have a Dr visit tomorrow with an EN&T. I was paranoid, so I went and had a another test but to my surprise it was positive. It was a Uni-gold rapid test (finger prick). I have tested negative at 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 1 year and 2 years with ELISAs and OraSure Oral HIV1/2. My exposure was unprotective Oral both giving and receiving and protective vaginal. My risk besides the oral was I pinched the tip of the condom when I went to put it on but had it backwards. I turned it over pinched the tip and rolled it on. So I touched the inside tip of the condom with the wet fingers that I had used to simulate her. This is my only exposure except for sex with my wife. I have confessed and we have been working through it.

1) Do you think this is a false positive? I'm having an ELISA and Western blot tomorrow as I immediately scheduled an appointment with my GP.

2) How could I have so many negative tests and still be positive? Could the Unigold test for Subtype O and the others didn't?

I did get shingles over a year after the possible exposure--why I went back and tested at 2 years.

The clinic say the test is 99.6% accurate and the odds of it being a false positive is slim. I told them about my other test and they were surprised but said that sometimes HIV takes years to show a positive test?

Thank you in advance, I'm freaking out!!!!!

Your HIV-acquisition risk is remote at best. Your negative Uni-Gold finger-prick rapid tests at 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 12 and 24 months are definitive, conclusive and highly excessive.

Your recent positive OraSure Oral HIV-1/2 must be a false-positive if you've had no new exposures.

I do not believe you have thrush in your throat. (I'm assuming the ENT specialist agreed? Yeah, I thought so!)

To specifically address your questions:

1. Yes. Your follow-up ELISA and, if necessary, WB will corroborate this fact.

2. You are not HIV positive. Period!

Stop freaking out and stop getting HIV tests you absolutely do not need!

Your Political views Dr. Bob
HIV / CVID (COMMON VARIABLE IMMUNODEFICIENCY) (HYPOGAMMAGLOBULINEMIA 2008)