Are my results reliable? (MARIJUANA AND HIV TESTING 2008)

Hi Dr. Bob,

I know that this is a question that never dies, but I just got my 9 week antibody test back(I know, not conclusive!)and it was negative. However, I Have smoked marijuana on an almost daily basis for the last year. That's a lot of marijuana.

I know that people have asked if they smoked the night before the test if their results would be reliable, however I feel like I smoke a lot more than these people.

Would smoking this much delay the production of antibodies? therefore giving a false negative?

Thank You!

Hello Stoner,

QTND (question that never dies) and an ATNC (answer that never changes). Even if you sparked as many doobies as Mick Jagger, Bill Maher and Willy Nelson combined, it would not affect your HIV test results, OK?

Marijuana smoking and Hiv Testing Sep 26, 2008

Hi Dr Bob,

I have e-mailed you before and I have never gotten a response. I know you get a million questions a day, but could you please help answer mine. I am a regular marijuana smoker who is about to get my 3 month antibody test done in 3 weeks. I was wondering could smoking pot affect my test results? Should a negative test at 3 months be all I need. I have already tested negative at 4wks and 8wks with the antibody test. Please help!

Thank You.

Hey Stoner,

I haven't answered your previous questions, because I've already answered many very similar questions and those responses are readily available in the archives. I'll post a sampling below. So rather than sparking doobie after doobie, have a look at the archives.

HIV Test and Marijuana May 11, 2008

Hi Dr --

I have had several HIV tests over the past year but I also smoke Marijuana on a somewhat regular basis -- probably about once a month. I just would like to know if smoking marijuana can affect an HIV test (either orasure or a blood test).

Thanks much!

Once again a QTND (question that never dies) and an ATNC (answer that never changes). Once again I encourage all potheads, I mean gracious readers of this forum, to check the archives! See below!

Testing Sep 3, 2005

If i was to smoke marijuana the night befor an HIV test will it affect the result?. It has been about 8 weeks after unpretected sex and my glads are up also i have been getting headaches. should i wait till 3 months to get tested or get one now?

No worries, Stone-head. Even if you bonged all night, there is no way to be one toke over the line (Sweet Jesus) on your HIV test the next day. So, in a word, will Mary Jane screw up an HIV test? Nope.

As for when to test, HIV antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive or definitive. So what to do for the next four weeks??? Perhaps eat massive quantities of pizza and ice cream in an impossible quest to quell the munchies.

Good luck and don't Bogart that joint!

insertive oral risk with undetectable receptive partner
slightly positive result