Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I've got flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.
Oct 8, 2008

Okay, last try. That's the best subject title line I've got and I just made a donation! Reference# ETGEXXXXXXXX***.

I was checking out at a grocery store, the cashier cut her hand and there was a smearing of her fresh (less than a minute old) blood on the bag. I picked it up without thinking. I know there is no risk of hiv transmission if you were to get a small amount of hiv+ blood briefly on intact skin.

My concern is what if I had a small amount of the cashiers blood on my hands (that I did not see) and then within a minute or two, I unconsciously touched the corner of my mouth, inner nose or rubbed the corner of my eye? THESE ARE ALL MUCOUS MEMBRANES, and this perhaps small amount of blood that could have been on my fingers was a mere 1-2 minutes old. Is hiv testing warranted or is this not a realistic mode of mucous membrane transmission.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

OK. OK. Don't send the flying monkeys! I give up! I'll answer!

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. Gosh, if HIV were that easy to contract, it would have wiped out the planet (and the merry 'ol land of Oz as well) long ago. Testing is not warranted.

So, stop worrying and start joyfully singing "ding dong the witch and my HIV fears are dead!" (I know it doesn't rhyme, but you can't sing on key anyway, so it really doesn't matter.)

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. I'll send a formal acknowledgement and thank-you via snail mail (or flying monkey) soon.

Be well! (Yes, you're well.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
weakly reactive rapid test
Next
made two huge mistakes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.