Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

California Lab Scare
Oct 6, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob,

I am a life long Bay Area, California resident. Tonight I got a big scare when watching the 11 o'clock news. The news was showing and talking about how hundreds of California clinics and labs and hospital labs were not doing there job thoroughly. They said that lab techs were not being properly supervised and they question the validity of their job performance while performing blood tests. Now I am worried about my Labcorp 2005 Hiv AB negative test result and if I have to take it allover again. Geesh, were taught to trust our labs. Please advise. Thanks.

California Guy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello California Guy,

This story was over-sensationalized. Yes, there was some lack of supervision in some laboratories; however no one is recommending the need to repeat HIV tests. These tests are fairly easy to perform compared to many other more labor-intensive lab assays. Certainly, if you are freaked out, you can get another HIV test to calm your (unwarranted) fears. However, it is not medically warranted and personally I don't feel it is at all necessary.

Relax Max. You're fine. Really, you are!

Dr. Bob

Previous
A Trio of Thoughts
Next
chances to getting HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.