California Lab Scare

Hi Dr. Bob,

I am a life long Bay Area, California resident. Tonight I got a big scare when watching the 11 o'clock news. The news was showing and talking about how hundreds of California clinics and labs and hospital labs were not doing there job thoroughly. They said that lab techs were not being properly supervised and they question the validity of their job performance while performing blood tests. Now I am worried about my Labcorp 2005 Hiv AB negative test result and if I have to take it allover again. Geesh, were taught to trust our labs. Please advise. Thanks.

California Guy

Hello California Guy,

This story was over-sensationalized. Yes, there was some lack of supervision in some laboratories; however no one is recommending the need to repeat HIV tests. These tests are fairly easy to perform compared to many other more labor-intensive lab assays. Certainly, if you are freaked out, you can get another HIV test to calm your (unwarranted) fears. However, it is not medically warranted and personally I don't feel it is at all necessary.

Relax Max. You're fine. Really, you are!

A Trio of Thoughts
chances to getting HIV