still very worried, hiv2?

Hi Dr. Bob, I've written before and you've been so gracious to reply. I promise this is my last inquiry, still very worried and cannot sleep. I have 2 children that I raise alone and if I am infected, as you say, the earlier one knows and starts treatment, the better. Had you not, you may not be here anymore. I truly know that I could be overreacting but I also know my body and things are very strange this past year. I want to do the right thing and get help if needed. My kids need me, and although I should have thought of that earlier more seriously, its water under the bridge. Again, please answer, I'm really worried and distressed. In short, my exposure: 1)boyfriend 1 (Marine Corp-deployed alot, also to Africa): Sept 05-Mar 06 unprotected vag intercourse (he had tests every 6 months due to military). 2) boyfriend 2: unprotected vag intercourse Oct 06-April 07, unknown status, no iv drugs, etc.

Tests: Sept 07, Dec 07, April 08-Unigold Rapid HIv 1 (not 2)Recombigen at Planned P-all negative; Dec 07, Mar 08, July 08- Kaiser Hiv 1/2 Antibody Elisa (blood work went away to lab) all negative , so the last 14 months out after the absolute last exposure and about 3 years after the very first encounter with boyfriend one.

Symptoms: Dec 07-now, recurrent vag yeast, fungal Folliculits chest, neck mostly; tingling hands feet since Jan 08, swollen tender glands off and on since dec 07, mouth ulcers (many)since Sept 07.

Other blood work: CBC-all normal, CD4 July 08, 38%, count 497.

Questions: 1)Is there any way that I may have a rare strain of either 1 or 2 that they don't test for here? 2)Could I have just not produced antibodies to the types tested for here after 14 months? 3)is it poss to have 6 neg tests all after 3 month window and still have it? 4)With HIV 2, IF i HAD IT would I be having sypmtoms so soon? I hear it progresses slower? 5)With Hiv 1-would I be having syptoms so soon? 6)Since my symptoms are over a year now, would I start having other things to like sweats, diarrhea etc? I don't have anything like that just gland occ tender and fungal infections. 7)Do the combo 1/2 tests truly test for both or should I get a seperate Hiv 2 test? Should I get PCR test? I'm afraid of the false positives I read about on that one. Thank you so much, this has been a very difficult year and I truly don't want to be a worried well, I want my life back,I'm going to counseling for this, but truly only can't shake the fear due to the weird symptoms I never get one of these things, let alone all. I did turn 40, I know poss hormonal, but don't know for sure. Also ,they have tested for diabetes, other autoimmune etc. All negative.

I so appreciate your time, stay well. Jules

Hello Jules,

I'll be brief, as HIV is not your problem.

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

4. No, very unlikely.

5. No, very unlikely.

6. Not necessarily.

7. Yes, combo 1/2 tests do test for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. That's why they cleverly call them "combo 1/2" tests! A separate HIV-2 test and/or PCR testing is definitely not warranted.

I'm delighted you are going for counseling Jules, as your problem is not virologic, it's psychological! Yep, it really is "all in your head!" Bring a copy of this post and my response to your next counseling session and show it to your therapist. It will help focus your treatment.

CDC JUST LAUGHED..DEPRESSED AND SUICIDAL!! Oct 13, 2003

DR. BOB

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION. HERE IS MY QUESTION...I LIVE IN A RECOVERY HOME WITH WOMEN. I BORROWED MY TWEEZERS TO A GIRL IN MY HOUSE. SHORTLY AFTER SHE WAS DONE USING THEM, I USED THEM. WHEN I USED I PULLED MY SKIN A COUPLE OF TIMES AND MADE MYSELF BLEED. WHAT IF SHE MADE HERSELF BLEED BEFORE I USED THEM?? I AM FREAKING OUT!! DO I NEED TO BE TESTED??PLEASE ANSWER!! PLEASE GIVE ME THE ADDRESS TO SEND A DONATION.

THANKS JULES

Jules,

First, HIV transmission questions need to be submitted to the Safe Sex/HIV Prevention Forum, not the Fatigue/Anemia Forum, OK?

Next, HIV from tweezers? What do you think your girlfriend used them for? Open-heart surgery? Even if she did, you have nothing to worry about. HIV does not survive very long at all outside the body. So unless the tweezers she returned to you were dripping warm fresh blood, relax! This is not a risk for HIV transmission.

One more thing, Jules: You don't "borrow" something to someone. You loan it. The other person" borrows" it from you. In this case, HIV was neither loaned, borrowed, given, nor received. OK? Dr. Bob

Urgent help? What is wrong?
magnetic Couple and child bearing (SPERM WASHING, PREGANACY),