non specific binding

Dr. Bob, my results were negative, and I am thankful but for some reason I feel that my life is different now. I still feel a deep sad feeling in my heart for everyone and the state that we are moving. I pray for us all. You are doing such a good job if I don't visit the site again I just wanted to take another minute to simply thank you for helping me and others. I will never look at my life the same.

WOO-HOO! Congratulations on your negative test results. Although I am pleased you have gained new insights into the HIV/AIDS pandemic and that you plan to pray for us all, I would ask that you do something in addition. Please "pay it forward." That means take what you've learned here about HIV/AIDS and spread the word. If we are ever to change "the state in which we are moving," we need everyone to help disseminate the truth about HIV/AIDS. Each one of us needs to be an advocate for HIV awareness, prevention, education, testing and treatment access for all. In other words, we need to elect Barack Obama and the Democrats next month!

non specific binding to the nitrocellulose strip Sep 22, 2008

Thank you so much for answering my questions. Your dedication is outstanding and for that I know that God will grant you supernatural favor and long life as you are helping his children. Let me tell you that while I am waiting for the 3rd refined test. I hopped in my car and met a young lady who gave me a rapid orasure test in 20 minutes with my saliva. The test came back negative and so did my partners. I am prayerful that the finer test that the doctor does will show the same results. Its states that the saliva test is 99.6% accurate. Is this correct? Thank you again, I don't me to be a bother. I am taking valium and just praying.

That you tested negative on a rapid test is extremely encouraging news. I very strongly anticipate your definitive tests will conclusively corroborate your negative status. While waiting, I have the feeling the valium will help more than the prayers.

non specficin binding to the nitrocellulose strip Sep 20, 2008

Dr Frascino, I feel like I am in a nightmare and cant wakeup. My 2nd test came back the same as the first non specific binding to the nitrocellulose strip. The test was HIV 1/2 and something with a reflux. What is the chances of this being neg overall poss.. Please respond.

Well, it probably wasn't "reflux," but "reflex." It's a term used to indicate that if an initial test is repeatedly reactive (positive), the lab will automatically proceed with a confirmatory test. For screening HIV-antibody tests (ELISA, EIA, rapid tests, etc.), the confirmatory test would be a Western Blot or IFA (immunofluorescence assay). The reflex confirmatory test was probably not run in your case, as your initial screening test was not positive. There are many causes for "non-specific binding" or indeterminate test results, the most common being nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies. (You can read more about this in the archives.) The vast, vast, vast majority of these cases turn out to be HIV negative. If the physician or clinic where you are getting your tests does not know how to properly evaluate this type of "non-specific binding" result, I'd suggest you see an HIV specialist. He will be able to quickly and accurately ascertain your HIV status by ordering more sophisticated tests. The thing to remember about nightmares is that they are just bad dreams once you finally wake up and smell the Starbucks, OK?

Good luck. I'm here if you need me.

What's really important...viral load, cd4 cells or what?
hiv from bloody food