Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Help!!!!!
Sep 29, 2008

I am a 27 year old male who has been convinced he was dying since about 11. I had a homosexual encounter when I was 10 and I believe that one experience has changed my entire life. I would be told later by numerous therapists that it was actually sex abuse because the age difference (he was 15). Anyway, I had recently learned of the many diseases that can be transmitted through anal sex, HIV/AIDS being the worst. So of course that was what I had. After years of worry and numerous negative tests I am still convinced I have it, and have given to people I care about. I started really freaking out about 4 years ago when I had a sexual relationship with an older woman that lasted about 3 months. We had lots of unprotected sex. About a month before we ended things I began to feel extremely tired and out of it. I went and had blood work done and everything came back normal. A few worrisome months passed and I got a full physical done, HIV test included, and those also returned perfectly normal results. My question(s) is how accurate are HIV tests and do symptoms begin immediately after exposure (i.e. fatigue, swollen glands, confusion, tingling/numbness, ect)? And what are the most common symptoms? Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You've been convinced you've been dying for 16 years????? Even in a Wagnerian opera, it doesn't take someone that long to croak.

Dude, your numerous negative tests are absolutely definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. (No McCain. No Sarah "I can see Russia from my house" Palin.) You have overwhelming and irrefutable evidence that you are HIV negative. How you choose to live with that reality is up to you.

You report despite years of worry and numerous negative tests, you remain convinced you are infected and have transmitted HIV to people you care about. You also report you've seen "numerous therapists." Apparently, you don't believe "numerous negative HIV tests" or the "numerous therapists." This is your choice. But it doesn't change the reality of your negative HIV status. Your fears are totally unwarranted and completely irrational. I urge you to seek additional psychiatric help. Your problem is not virologic; it's psychological. Yep, it is indeed all in your head. Unfortunately, you probably won't believe me either.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please Please Please help or I'll steal your boyfriend!
Next
fiance having symptoms now!! please give your opinion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.