The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very Worried.

Sep 28, 2008

Dear Doctor,

Let me thank you for doing a great job in answering all these questions. My case: i am un-able to concentrate on my work and i am in a constant state of paranoia. i need your help to calm me down. I had protected sex with a sex worker (Used a condom), we also had some oral sex for few seconds and my tongue got in touch with her vaginal fluid. ever since this occasion i had been worried sick and it is effecting my life. i had two PCR tests on the 7th day and 26th day both came out negative. I am planning to get the antibody test at 3 month, but it is very difficult to wait with this anxiety. I have a partner as well and i am afraid on her.

My question is knowing that the PCR is not recomended for diagnosis becasue of the false positive; but in my case can you inform me if the test i had taken can assure that i am negative?

Thank you

P.S. please inform me if there is any way that i can donate to the foundation, as i am not living in the states.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. Oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition.

You are correct: PCR tests (both RNA and DNA) are not recommended for routine HIV screening, due primarily to the rate of false-positives, technical concerns and cost. False-negatives are much less of a problem. Consequently, your negative tests on days 7 and 26 are encouraging. However, since these are not diagnostic tests, you'll still need an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this sex-perience.

As for donating to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation from overseas, this can be done on the foundation's Web site, via credit card or PayPal. Alternatively, the foundation accepts direct bank wire transfers (instructions can be found on the foundation's Web site), personal checks (any currency), cash (any currency) and appreciated securities. Thanks for your interest.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

False Positive
Acute Viral Hepatitis or HIV ?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint