Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hospital isolation practices
Sep 28, 2008

I am a new nursing student. My professor says that patients with HIV and or Hep B must be placed in isolation while in the hospita. I can not find any confirmation to the truthfulness or falsness of this statement. I don't believe my instructor. All hospitals should be using universal blood precations, which should take care of any infectious potentials. She also says that HIV can be caught by touching sheets that have been wet with urine. Is what she is teaching correct? Or is she filling our heads with a lot of unfounded fears. Thank you, New to nursing

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello New Nurse,

Your "professor" told you HIV can be contracted by touching sheets wet with urine and that HIV and hepatitis B patients must be placed in isolation while in the hospital????? WHAT??? Are you sure this is a professor and not perhaps a janitor who might be filling in while the real professor took the day off??? There is not even an ounce of "truthiness" in what your "professor" (and I use that term very loosely) told you and if he or she is actually teaching such nonsense, he or she should be reported to the head of your training program. This "professor" sounds like someone Fox News would use as a "medical expert." As with most of Fox's experts, this person is spouting off complete poppycock and ignoring hard scientific facts. I do hope you will report this person to the directors of the training program, as "teachings" such as these can be dangerous.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I'm very Worried
Next
Tetanus shot/Oral sex PLEASE ANSWER ME!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.