I am ashamed to be back

Dr Bob, Just when I thought I was in the clear, I got a positive rapid test today for HIV. It was clearview statpak and it showed a faint line next to T twice at the same clinic. To be honest I dont think this is from the exposure 6 months ago, Actually I was having a drink with a few friends and they were trying to convince me to believe that I am hiv- and to assure me we went to an asian massage parlour. Like a stupid man I had protected oral and vaginal sex again thinking it was no risk.... but I also had a couple of sores at the base of my genitals diagnosed as folliculitis by a dermatologist. The testing hospital took my blood for WB and I am also awaiting PCR test results.... 1. faint line on a rapid test is positive... right? 2. and a second one jus confirms it...?? -(praying and hoping against hope)

A positive screening rapid HIV test is easily interpreted if a line develops at the "T." However, all positive rapid tests are only considered to be "preliminarily positive". They require a confirmatory test, such as the Western Blot (WB), before the test can be considered a "true positive". If someone has a positive rapid test and negative WB, this is considered to be a negative HIV test. (This happens quite frequently.)

If your only potential HIV exposure was "protected oral and vaginal sex," your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. Consequently, there is an excellent chance your Western Blot will be negative.

$100 donation please help what can effect the rapid mouth swab test?
You are the best but still confused !!