Sep 26, 2008
Dating again... facing the usual fustrations including why are so many guys still insisting on bb only? Latex allergies or death wish? wheather you are positive or not, it make no sense and I don't understand! Thanks for your feedback.
Response from Dr. Frascino
I responded to a similar question recently. See below.
How ? Sep 20, 2008
Dr Bob, Now in this era of HIV, everybody knows that condoms save, how come so many people are getting infected every day ? regards
Response from Dr. Frascino
I could give you many sociological reasons condoms are not used to prevent HIV infections, such as:
1. Condom fatigue in MSM who have been using them for years. Remember, prior to HIV/AIDS, gay men had as much need for condoms as they did for Midol. Many are just fed up with having to use them now that HIV has become, in their minds, more treatable.
2. Misinformation or lack of information about condom efficacy stemming from Dubya's disastrous abstinence-only sex (mis) education program.
3. Serosorting. People attempting to have sex only with others of the same serostatus. They will often forego condoms while doing this, as they feel the chance of HIV transmission is no longer relevant. (This isn't always true, due to the possibility of superinfection in the HIV positives and to the very real possibility that folks or their partners, who believe they are negative, are, in reality, HIV infected.)
4. The belief that having an undetectable HIV plasma viral load is equivalent to being noninfectious, thus negating the need for condoms. (This also has not been proven to be true.)
However, the most important reason folks don't use condoms to protect themselves is the wide gap between what someone rationally knows and how someone chooses to behave in the height of passion or under the influence of drugs. There is no doubt that if the "No glove. No love. No exceptions." rule was really practiced, HIV infection would drop faster and lower than Bush's approval rating.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Why Do I Have Recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Precautions Can You Take If Someone Has Herpes?
- What Is The Life Span Of A Person Infected With Herpes?
- What Does A Herpes Rash Look Like?
- What Are The Different Types Of Herpes Zosters Or Shingles?
- Took Antibiotics As Prescribed For Chlamydia And Still Have Symptoms
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.