Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

urgent pep question
Sep 26, 2008

tomorrow evening will be 72 hours post exposure so i could use some advice. possible exposure: i am male and had an encounter with another male sunday night, i was masturbating, he was masturbating. neither of us actually came; but he did at some point start rubbing on my butt. his hands and fingers were rubbing hard on my anus, kind of in a hard petting motion. i can assume that he had precum on his hand. (and for the sake of this post, please assume he had precum on his hand also). he told me before and after that he was negative, tested 1 year ago, and that he has not had sex in three years (perhaps he tested one year ago just out of habit and not because of sexual activities?perhaps he's just lying). of course, i have to treat it as if he was positive. i knew this then but i certainly know this now, and regret my decision to let him touch me. after five to 10 seconds, i told him to stop and that i didnt want anything near my butt. i am fricking out about my possible exposure. i read anal and vaginal and oral sex are the risks, but can this be considered anal sex? i mean, there is precum and hands and fingers on and pressing down onto my anus, though digital penetration did not occur(?) i'm worried about the anal opening skin and its ability to soak up fluids. post exposure: i went to the ER and was actually given PEP prescription tuesday night. I have not filled the RX yet, i am debating about whether to take it since i've been told its little to no risk and in taking PEP my window (and intense fear--bordering on depression) will be extended. should i take the PEP? zidovudine & epivir was prescribed. Please tell me if this is warranted? i am a student and money is tight, but know that a donation WILL be forthcoming.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

PEP is not warranted for the activities you describe. PEP should only be prescribed for significant HIV exposures. Precum, hands and fingers knocking on your backdoor would not constitute an HIV risk. If you are concerned, get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to put your (unwarranted) worries permanently to reset. (Personally, I do not feel even HIV testing is medically warranted.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Story
Next
Dr. Bob, Please help me, I really need your help part2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.