Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried
Sep 25, 2008

Hello, I ordered some take out food, and I started eating it, but I soon realized there was a human fingernail in my mouth, I took the fingernail in my mouth and was grossed out. I am worried if putting someones fingernail in my mouth can spread hiv and aids? I am deeply worried. Please help

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Did you happen to order the "finger foods" special?? Although I agree human finger nails found in your Happy Meal are unappetizing, McDonald's does claim to use "secret sauce," so I suppose they can use just about anything they want for flavor, right?

Your HIV risk is nonexistent. I'll reprint below a somewhat related question that concerns a situation in which more than just the nail was found in takeout food.

Dr. Bob

Is it true?????????? Mar 25, 2005

Dr Bob,

I just heard someone found a thumb in thier spaghetti out in California. Is this true and if so would the person who ate it get HIV?

Tad

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Tad,

Well, not exactly. It wasn't a thumb and it wasn't spaghetti. It was a 1 inch tip of a finger in a bowl of chili at a Wendy's in San Jose. (Since your version of the story was exaggerated and the facts were distorted, I can only guess you got your information on the Fox News Channel!)

Could the person who bit into the finger get HIV? No, from talking to the health officials in San Jose, the Wendy's chili was cooked at a high enough temperature to kill HIV and hepatitis. However, the entire unappetizing story does give a whole new meaning to the term "finger foods," now doesn't it?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Where can I dump my load safely?
Next
Dr Bob me and my friend we give blood

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.