HIV Question

Dear Dr. Bob, I posted a question about a week ago and was hoping to get a response when you get a chance. My question is I've recently purchased an x-rated dvd at a video store. I'm aware that these dvds are often times previously views and my concern is that there may have been small or trace amounts of dried semen on the dvd that I bought. If there were, and I touched the dvd with my hands, and then masturbated, would transmission be possible? Thank you.

Shocking as it may be, you are not the first (or even the second, third or fourth) worry wart to write in asking if he could catch HIV from a rented porno DVD! Your worries are unwarranted. See below. Once again, the information you desired was waiting for your double click in the archives.

Transmssion Via Third Party Objects Aug 31, 2006

First, i would like to thank you very much Dr. for your work. You help many people, both on the web and in person.

My question is: Is it possible to contract HIV or Hepatitis C from a third party object such as a rented adult dvd. The proposed transfer of the virus would be from the original handler of the dvd leaving an amount of sperm on the dvd. The next person to rent the dvd would then masturbate. Is such a transfer possible?

HIV or HCV from a porno video??? No, of course not. If that were the case, every Republican conservative rightwing wingnut politician and a large number of born-again Bible-thumping loonies would be HIV positive. Relax, Max. Enjoy your videos. Here's a few of the extra-chromosome Christian Right favorites:

1. Sperms of Endearment

2. Romancing the Bone

3. For Your Thighs Only

4. On Golden Blonde

5. Forrest Hump

6. Sleeping Booty

7. The Loin King

8. White Men Can't Hump

9. Batman in Robin

10. Robocock

11. ET The Extra Testicle

12. Glad-He-Ate-Her

13. Position: Impossible

14. A Hard Gay's Night

15. The Little Sperm-Aid

16. Bang the Nun Slowly

17. Something Liquid This Way Cums

Could it have transmitted from the DVD? Jan 26, 2006

Dear Doctor,

I recently rented some porn movies online, and i noticed there were smudges on the botom of one of the DVDs and i had touched it at one pint...and washed m hands after...

A few weeks later, i started to feel sick.. sore throat.. and i was tired a lot. Do you think that something was transmitted through what was on the bottom of the disc? I was tested about 2 weeks after, and it was negative. I just don't know what to do.

HIV from a DVD??? Please tell me you're kidding.

You "just don't know what to do"??? Hmmm . . . ever think of getting counseling for your irrational HIV fears? Or taking a sex education class to learn about the ways HIV is and is not transmitted??? No??? Hmmm . . . just as I suspected.

Relax, Sticky Fingers. HIV is not your problem.

Testosterone question (please help)
Concerned