Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just need some advice!
Sep 24, 2008

Hey Bob,

I've written you twice before, I'm "prevention girl". I'm not sure if you're going to remember me though, I'm sure you read tons of emails. Well my question is not about HIV prevention (as I have been very thoroughly trained by my employer!), it's more about my future career options. I would like to stay within the field of HIV prevention, I currently do educational programs with at risk populations in substance abuse facilities. Unfortunatly, I am having a hard time living on my salary and will be looking into moving up sometime in the near future. I am interested in grad school (I have a BA in psychology already), but have no idea what to study!! I love what I do because I know I'm helping people, but I need some more income! Any advice regarding possible career options or graduate study that would give me the ammo I need to score a nicely paying job in this field? I already know and have accepted that social work is notorious for underpaying staff, but I am making under 30k and need just a little more and I'll be happy! I am asking you because I value your advice and your opinion, and although you don't know me I read this site daily (hey, I get bored at the office sometimes- and you're funny as shit!)and I feel you would give me some valuable feedback! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh and by the way, you're fabulously fantastic! Thanks! p.s. If Obama is not prez I'm moving to Canada!! Who's with me? p.s. #2 I hope by spelling was up to par ;)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey There Prevention Gal,

Welcome back to the forum. The future job market is always difficult to predict. However, with your career goals and a BA in psychology, I would suggest you consider a masters degree in public health. You could focus your studies on HIV/AIDS prevention, depending on where you do your training. That might set you up nicely for a variety of career options.

Finally, if McPain and Failin' get elected, I think even Canada might be too close. I'll probably head to Paris or maybe Sydney. Sarah "I can see Russia from my House" Palin doesn't travel overseas and McSame will be way too busy changing his depends to travel that far, so I should be safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV 1 AND 2 AB, EIA
Next
Donation Today. Question Asked Yesterday re: indeterminate w/gum transpant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.