Hi, I recently rec'vd my HIV test results and the results indicated: NONREACTIVE [NR] What does this mean, the test was performed by-Bayer Centaur Chemiluminescence

How is it possible for a physician or clinic to order an HIV test for someone and then not explain what the result actually means??? That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

"Nonreactive" means that anti-HIV antibodies were not detected. In other words, the test was "negative." If you had this test done three months or longer from the time of your last potential HIV exposure, the results would be considered definitive. You can read much more about HIV diagnostic tests on this site. Check the Quick Links section on The Body's homepage. There you will find an entire chapter on "HIV Testing Basics."

not a question only thanks
Just need some advice!