Bob, a little help if you please

Hi Bob,

Despite 45 negative HIV tests for 1/2 out to 30 months, using at least 7 or 8 different assays at different labs etc., I still feel certain I have HIV. These tests also included 2 DNA-PCR's as well as a viral load test.

What concerns me is my T-Cell counts of; CD3 950ish (50%), CD4 549 (36%) and CD8 460. Ratio of 1.19.

What worries me is that the CD3% should be > 60% and that the other values are lowish. I have ongoing sinus problems and my wife has had ongoing physical illnesses that seem systemic and could certainly be HIV related (genital ulceration, skin problems, persistent vaginal thrush)

Should I dismiss my T-Cell results as being normal, insist on further analysis at a doctors or see a counsellor ?

Ta, Jonathan.

Hello Jonathan,

After 45 negative HIV tests out to 30 months, using eight different assays at different labs and including two DNA PCRs, a viral load test, and a normal T-cell subset analysis, you "still feel certain (you) have HIV" and you would like "a little help"?!?!?!?!? YIKES! Dude, you don't need a little help, you need lots and lots of help. Unfortunately, I'm not the one to provide that type of help, as I am not a psychiatrist and that is exactly what you need.

Your T-cell counts (which you had absolutely no reason to have analyzed, by the way) are completely normal. (CD3% variability can occur with many conditions and is not indicative of HIV infection.)

Jonathan, it's time for you to begin dealing with your real problem fear rather than continuing to focus on a disease you could not possibly have. Your highly excessive and totally unnecessary multiple HIV tests provide irrefutable, conclusive and definitive results that you are HIV negative. How you choose to live with that reality is now up to you. You can continue to worry and continue to get additional HIV tests, which will undoubtedly be negative, or you can seek the help of a psychiatrist to help you confront your irrational fears of being HIV infected and assist you in accepting the truly wonderful fact that you are not HIV infected. The choice is yours.

Thank you from Malaysia (PREGNANCY AND FALSE POSITIVE HIV TESTS 2008)
You're a legend..