Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bob, a little help if you please
Sep 20, 2008

Hi Bob,

Despite 45 negative HIV tests for 1/2 out to 30 months, using at least 7 or 8 different assays at different labs etc., I still feel certain I have HIV. These tests also included 2 DNA-PCR's as well as a viral load test.

What concerns me is my T-Cell counts of; CD3 950ish (50%), CD4 549 (36%) and CD8 460. Ratio of 1.19.

What worries me is that the CD3% should be > 60% and that the other values are lowish. I have ongoing sinus problems and my wife has had ongoing physical illnesses that seem systemic and could certainly be HIV related (genital ulceration, skin problems, persistent vaginal thrush)

Should I dismiss my T-Cell results as being normal, insist on further analysis at a doctors or see a counsellor ?

Ta, Jonathan.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Jonathan,

After 45 negative HIV tests out to 30 months, using eight different assays at different labs and including two DNA PCRs, a viral load test, and a normal T-cell subset analysis, you "still feel certain (you) have HIV" and you would like "a little help"?!?!?!?!? YIKES! Dude, you don't need a little help, you need lots and lots of help. Unfortunately, I'm not the one to provide that type of help, as I am not a psychiatrist and that is exactly what you need.

Your T-cell counts (which you had absolutely no reason to have analyzed, by the way) are completely normal. (CD3% variability can occur with many conditions and is not indicative of HIV infection.)

Jonathan, it's time for you to begin dealing with your real problem fear rather than continuing to focus on a disease you could not possibly have. Your highly excessive and totally unnecessary multiple HIV tests provide irrefutable, conclusive and definitive results that you are HIV negative. How you choose to live with that reality is now up to you. You can continue to worry and continue to get additional HIV tests, which will undoubtedly be negative, or you can seek the help of a psychiatrist to help you confront your irrational fears of being HIV infected and assist you in accepting the truly wonderful fact that you are not HIV infected. The choice is yours.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank you from Malaysia (PREGNANCY AND FALSE POSITIVE HIV TESTS 2008)
Next
You're a legend..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.