Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pep warranted? Donation yes
Sep 18, 2008

dr, i beg you. I went today to withdraw my wife's blood test results, and i met the guy who usually run the analysis at that lab and i shook hand with him. The guy was holding a tray full of blood vacum tubes. My concer is that probably his hands were contaminated with possible infected blood from the tubes. I did not notice any blood on his hand and my skin was intact at palm. I did not see anyblood. Is pep warranted? ( i know that you might think that i am crazy but probably, my "exposure" in the lab settings can be of danger. Dr, i am really getting crazy. When i got back home i washed my hands with sanitizer but that is only 15 min after the"exposurr" please let me know. Again the tray was full of blood tubes. Is it possible that his hands were "dirty", especially that he was not really sure of himself while shaking hands with me, as if he was hesitating. Dr. Pleaseeeeee. Dr, i had a small cut on my finger, but he did not touch me there and i wiped my hands (the touched area) pretty good with alcohol before washing my hands so i guess my wound was not exposed, at least directly. Again i could not see blood on me. Dr, usually people working in labs do they touch blood or they use the tubes directly in the machines?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Is PEP warranted??? No, of course not! PEP is recommended only for significant HIV exposures. You had nothing more than a handshake, frevinsakes!! Your fears are completely unwarranted and totally irrational. I suggest you spend some time reviewing the wealth of information on this site, in its archives and on its related links, focusing on exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. Begin with the information in the archives concerning HIV (non-sexual) transmission.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. Now stop worrying, OK?

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
cunnilingus
Next
Worried sick of possible HIV infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.