Barber's Nick on head. Little Bleeding

Hey Dr. Bob,

I received your card and CD for the donation i had made. Thanks. But i never got the answer to my question i had asked. :(

I did go and got tested and it came out -ve. thank god.

4.5 weeks back i went to my local barber shop and got my head shaved. Barber used one of those gillete MACH 3 razor before using his clipper to take out the hair. When i got home i could see one red bump and one small nick on my scalp. Yesterday again i went for a shave and before he did it i asked him if does change the blade. He said yes but again i didnt see him doing. Don't know if they do it after they get done with their customer.

My question is what if he had cut a HIV +ve person with the same razor and there were blood traces left on it and he cut me with the same razor would that infect me with HIV. Can the shaving foam on my head kill the virus immediately when it comes with touch with the virus on the blade. Also how long would virus on a razor blade remain active in blood if it wasn't cleaned properly. Please help.

I didn't respond initially as I've addressed many similar concerns over the years in this forum. Have a look in the archives!

Your risk of contracting HIV from a barber is so remote it's essentially nonexistent. Yes, they do change blades for each customer. Even if they didn't, HIV is very frail and does not survive very long outside of the body. Shaving foam does not have any antiviral properties that I am aware of.

I'm not at all surprised your HIV test was negative. I would have been shocked if it wasn't. Stop worrying. You're fine. And the new cue-ball look is totally hot!

Be well. Stay well.

kill hiv with lasers
Re: "Expert in medicine not in politics" ..