Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is refusing sex with new boyfriend before testing weird?
Sep 16, 2008

Hi. I recently said to my new boyfriend that we should both have STD/HIV tests before having sex for the first time (I know I'm clean but thought it was fairer to suggest it for both of us). His response was basically that I'm crazy and that only 'poofs and blacks' get AIDS. Eek!! Prejudice and ignorance aren't qualities I look for in a life partner so his days are numbered but, for future reference, is this really that weird a request? My thinking was that testing would mean he could be treated for anything he might have like chlamydia and we'd at least be aware if he's HIV+. If he's clean then I would still want to use a condom for sex but we could be more relaxed for oral. To me, this is just safe sex but he obviously thought I was a freak. What's your opinion?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

He said "only poufs and blacks get AIDS"????? EEK is right! I'm glad you've decided to make this new guy your new ex-boyfriend! Prejudice and ignorance are a dangerous combination. Let me guess, he thinks Sarah "I can see Russia from my house" Palin is qualified to be one heartbeat away from the presidency, right???

As for your request for STD/HIV screening with your partner before doing the horizontal mattress mambo, no, it's not a "weird request." I think it's an excellent idea. However, as you point out, even if the partner tests negative, latex condoms are still imperative, because, remember, your partner is only as negative as the date of his/her last test. And it's impractical to test before each tumble in the sheets.

You are not a freak for wanting to be safe. Your partner was just being Dubya-stupid for not realizing your good intentions. My advice is to continue to stay safe and to find a more reasonable boyfriend!

Dr. Bob

Previous
QTND French Kissing
Next
PEP - ARS symptoms genital lesions?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.