The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please answer will donate

Sep 14, 2008

im a man and had unprotected sex with a female of unknown status, had both nat and antibody tests four times once at 12 days at 53 days at 69 days and at 70 days afte encounter all both tets nat and antibody have been negative bad dry mouth need info on further testing please help me im going crazy

Response from Dr. Frascino


Not only do you need information on HIV, but you could use some assistance with punctuation, spelling and grammar as well! What does ". . . afte encounter all both tets nat . . ." mean???

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. The recommended screening test for HIV is an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. NAT testing is not recommended for routine HIV diagnostic screening. That said, considering you've had four negative HIV-antibody tests and four undetectable NAT tests out to 70 days, your chances of having contracted HIV from your commando-Rambo activities with your unknown-status gal are remote at best. If you want a definitive/conclusive result, get one additional HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative. Then WOO-HOO like a banshee in heat and vow never to put yourself at risk again, OK?

Dr. Bob

Is my garbage can exposure infectious (Worried Mother from Singapore)
unproteced sex with a sex worker

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint