Speciciment exhibits non specific findings

I have taken an HIV test every year for the past 10 years I have had 2 parnters in that time. My last test May of 07 was neg. My last intercourse was 5/08 unprotected with a person who test hiv - twice ( just like me ) Anyhow, I just tested again and the results cam back specimen exhibits non specific binding with the nitrocellulouse strip used in the HIV1 Antibody westerblot essay result uninterpetable. HIV 1 and 2 on a second sample. What does this mean did my elisa or WB come back postive or was the entire test uninterpretable.

Without knowing what test or tests were ordered, it's difficult to explain exactly what that result is referring to.

For instance, if only a Western Blot test was ordered, this would be an inappropriate test. Western Blot tests should only be done to confirm a repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA. So if that was the case, you could disregard this result entirely. If, on the other hand, you had a reactive ELISA and this result refers to the confirmatory Western Blot being "uninterpretable," then your HIV status is indeterminate and you'll need follow-up testing to sort that out.

My advice is:

1. Discuss your test result with the doctor who or clinic that ordered the test to clarify what was actually done.

2. If you do have an indeterminate test, repeat your HIV screening.

3. Stop having unprotected sex so that you won't have to endure this confusion (and risk) ever again.

Hey Good Doctor Bob-ster
Fingering and washing penis...HIV transmission