Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Speciciment exhibits non specific findings
Sep 13, 2008

I have taken an HIV test every year for the past 10 years I have had 2 parnters in that time. My last test May of 07 was neg. My last intercourse was 5/08 unprotected with a person who test hiv - twice ( just like me ) Anyhow, I just tested again and the results cam back specimen exhibits non specific binding with the nitrocellulouse strip used in the HIV1 Antibody westerblot essay result uninterpetable. HIV 1 and 2 on a second sample. What does this mean did my elisa or WB come back postive or was the entire test uninterpretable.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Without knowing what test or tests were ordered, it's difficult to explain exactly what that result is referring to.

For instance, if only a Western Blot test was ordered, this would be an inappropriate test. Western Blot tests should only be done to confirm a repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA. So if that was the case, you could disregard this result entirely. If, on the other hand, you had a reactive ELISA and this result refers to the confirmatory Western Blot being "uninterpretable," then your HIV status is indeterminate and you'll need follow-up testing to sort that out.

My advice is:

1. Discuss your test result with the doctor who or clinic that ordered the test to clarify what was actually done.

2. If you do have an indeterminate test, repeat your HIV screening.

3. Stop having unprotected sex so that you won't have to endure this confusion (and risk) ever again.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hey Good Doctor Bob-ster
Next
Fingering and washing penis...HIV transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.