Emergency PEP for serodiscordant couples?

Dear Dr F, I am in a serodiscordant gay relationship - I'm negative and he's positive. Although I've accepted that if we play safe the risk of infection is really low, I still worry about it periodically. Last weekend we went camping out in the wilderness, and it got me thinking: supposing an accident had happened out there in the middle of nowhere and miles from a source of PEP, what would we have done?! What would happen if we're visiting a different part of the country or world? Do you know, therefore, if any doctors would offer a PEP "emergency pack" to serodiscordant couples? It seems like a sensible idea to me. Thanks. Yours, Worried SF Bay Area Resident

Hey Worried SF Bay Area Resident,

Yes, many magnetic couples have PEP starter packs for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Plus, it should again be pointed out that PEP is most effective the sooner it is started after exposure. Consequently, if you have a starter pack always available, you could begin PEP within moments of an exposure, whether you're home or in the wild, thereby maximizing your chances of aborting a potential HIV infection. Check with your boyfriend's HIV specialist. He may be willing to set you up with a PEP starter pack. If not, the Frascino Medical Group will. We routinely offer this as well as discussing other measures for reducing potential HIV transmission to all the magnetic couples in the practice. (If you need help, call for an appointment, 650-917-1357.)

As part of a magnetic couple, I certainly understand and appreciate your concerns!

just wanting to check
Hey Good Doctor Bob-ster