Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

last question I promise
Sep 11, 2008

I wrote you and said I finally went and got tested last month. 8/27/08. I was told by the nurse that negative means negative after the 3 month time of last possible exposure. I asked if I should wait and get another test in another 3 to 6 months they said no need because Elisa test was very accuarte. But I am to understand on other sites that it can take some people up to 6 months of a window period from last exposure and have a false neg. however, the info on those web pages are from 2004/05/06. Has the common blood tests improved recently? Are my test conclusive as to a negative result? Last sexapade was May5th 2008 test done on 8 27-08 = 3 months 22 days or 114 days. Test was done at County Clinic if that matters. Thanks very kindly. Contribution on its way but not enough for what you people are doing for the public.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I agree with the advice the nurse provided. A negative HIV test at the three-month mark is considered to be definitive, unless there are rare extenuating circumstances. You can read much more about this in the archives. Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Fingering and HIV ??
Next
Fear of HIV keeping me from sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.