Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

how do i fight fatigue?

I am newly positive(less then a year) since being diagnosed i have been become depressed and this has affected the level of fatigue that i feel on a daily basis. i get tired more easily now then ever before in my life. is this because of the hiv or because of the depression and what can i do to fight this?

Depression is an extremely common complaint in those of us who are virally enhanced. There are a number of common underlying potential causes for an HIV-associated energy drain. These include anemia, hormonal imbalances, psychological issues and medication side effects, among others. You can read about these as well as lots of not-so-common potential underlying causes in the archives of this forum.

Certainly, depression is a very common ailment that is frequently associated with fatigue in both HIVers and non-HIVers. The incidence of clinical depression is increased in folks with chronic debilitating illnesses, like HIV. Luckily, depression is readily treatable.

I would suggest a two-pronged approach to recharge your batteries!

1. Talk to your HIV specialist and have him evaluate you for underlying causes of HIV-associated fatigue.

2. Get a referral to an HIV-knowledgeable psychologist/psychiatrist to evaluate and treat your depression.

Hopefully soon, when that overly cheerful happy-peppy waitress or checkout clerk tells you to "have a nice day," you actually will!

with other meds for other problems
A word of encouragement for others.