Oslo Protected Encounter

Dear doc,

I had a protected sexual encounter with an African prostitute in Oslo in Norway in March of this year. Before and after this event I have been with one partner relationship for ten years. She put a condom on me, and then performed oral, followed by about 3 minutes of penetrative virginal sex. She masturbated me with a condom on. I ejaculated in the condom. Ten days later I visit a private sexual health clinic in Harley Street in the UK. I was examined and tested for: chlamydia gonorrhoea non-specific urethritis (men only) syphilis All results were negative and the Doctor informed me that no further tests were medically required. required, there was no point coming back for an HIV test, I should put the event in the past , move on and could go back to having a normal sex life with my wife. I took this advice and have not had any symptoms which could be linked to HIV or an STD since. The reason I am writing to you is last week I had to revisit Oslo and the feelings of fear for my future, and my family returned. I have spent the weekend wondering if I should book an HIV test. So my questions are: 1. Based on the information provided do you believe there would be any medical reason for me to take an HIV test? 2. Do the tests taken and passed in March reduce my need to take an HIV test? 3. Based on the information provided what would be my chances of contracting HIV if the sex worker was positive. I really want to put this behind me and try to start for another baby. It was a one off, out of character shameful event and I just want to know the best course of action so I can move on with my life. Thank in advance of any advice you can offer.

b

Hello G,

1. There is no medical or diagnostic reason for you to take an HIV test, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break). HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. (No McCain. No Palin!) However, if you continue to worry about and perseverate on this issue, get a single HIV-antibody test. The results will undoubtedly be negative and this should put any residual worries permanently to rest.

2. No. Those tests rule out only other STDs.

3. Nonexistent, if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail.

My advice would be that you level with your wife. Your fears are most likely exacerbated by the guilt surrounding this indiscretion. Leveling with your wife is the best way to confront that guilt and it's also the right thing to do.

Finally, I think you should stop worrying. After all, how risky could the sex be, considering you state you had "penetrative VIRGINAL sex!"

Started PEP- Is it necessary in my situation??? (Resubmitted from the Fatigue and Anemia Forum)
Follow-up to Started PEP- Is it necessary in my situation??? (Resubmitted from the Fatigue and Anemia Forum)