Nervous for a year

Dr. Bob - I had protected sex with a prostitute in Vegas last year. She came prepared and put the condom on me. She gave me oral and then we had vaginal sex... I came and from what I could see, the condom was in good shape and I took it off, threw it in the trash and washed my hands. Sounds good, but since that time I have been freaking out. I guess it's nerves, because my marriage sucks and I have stress at home. About a month after the encounter, I was diagnosed with shingles and was treated with valtrex. At this point, I decided to see a well know std doc in my home city. He tested me for everything but HIV. Clean and he told me that I should not worry about HIV. Can you confirm this, because I still worry and wonder. Thanks and I will donate!

Hello Nervous for a Year,

Four quick points:

1. Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. (No McCain! No Palin!)

2. The vast majority of cases of shingles have nothing to do with HIV.

3. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive and conclusive. If you remain concerned, despite my reassurance and that of your doctor, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to put those (unwarranted) worries permanently to rest.

4. What happened in Vegas stayed in Vegas!

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well! Stay well!

HIV-Free for me!?!!
Orasure test information