Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nervous for a year
Sep 10, 2008

Dr. Bob - I had protected sex with a prostitute in Vegas last year. She came prepared and put the condom on me. She gave me oral and then we had vaginal sex... I came and from what I could see, the condom was in good shape and I took it off, threw it in the trash and washed my hands. Sounds good, but since that time I have been freaking out. I guess it's nerves, because my marriage sucks and I have stress at home. About a month after the encounter, I was diagnosed with shingles and was treated with valtrex. At this point, I decided to see a well know std doc in my home city. He tested me for everything but HIV. Clean and he told me that I should not worry about HIV. Can you confirm this, because I still worry and wonder. Thanks and I will donate!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Nervous for a Year,

Four quick points:

1. Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. (No McCain! No Palin!)

2. The vast majority of cases of shingles have nothing to do with HIV.

3. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive and conclusive. If you remain concerned, despite my reassurance and that of your doctor, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to put those (unwarranted) worries permanently to rest.

4. What happened in Vegas stayed in Vegas!

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well! Stay well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV-Free for me!?!!
Next
Orasure test information

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.