Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wanted to try again
Sep 8, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob!

I'm going to try and make this short and sweet (and avoid rambling on like I usually do). I wanted to write you again in hopes of your reassurance that I am at no risk.

Situation: A "Toilet Terror" as I called it. Used a public restroom and covered the seat with toilet paper since the seat looked quite dirty and am worried that when I got off of the seat, my bottom side rubbed up against a part of it. When putting all of the toilet paper into the toilet, I noticed a tiny red dot on the middle part of the toilet, where the seat no longer connects. Other than that, I only noticed little drops of what I am assuming is urine on other parts of the toilet seat.

What really caused me to worry was when I used the bathroom at my apartment, about a half hour later, it looked like there was a little bit of red on the toilet paper that I used to wipe. Possibly there from the previous bathroom I used?

Please tell me I'm okay. I've tried my hardest to put this behind me and seem to be doing okay at times, but since it has happened I have had headaches (stress?), on and off sore throats (allergies?), diarrhea, and a few mornings where I have woken up in a sweat. I also have felt very achy from time to time.

Tomorrow will make it 4 weeks since it has happened.

Dr. Bob, do I have ANY reason to worry? Please respond. (I guess I didn't really keep it as short and sweet as I had planned).

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You would like me to please tell you that you are okay. Sorry, sweetie, I can't do that. Your toilet terrors or potty paranoia or whatever you want to call it are not normal and not okay. Your fears are irrational. Your HIV fears are completely unwarranted. HIV is not your problem. However, I do believe you have a problem, a psychological problem. Counseling may well help you confront and conquer these unwarranted fears. Failure to confront them will allow them to continue to terrorize you in the pooper and elsewhere.

Dr. Bob

Previous
could a hiv scare cause PTSD?
Next
I pray for a cure...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.