Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

could a hiv scare cause PTSD?
Sep 8, 2008

My son recently had an HIv scare with a girl he was dating for 3 weeks! She told him she had HIV since birth, both parents died, etc. He freaked out and was devastated. Since then he has had these odd thoughts of men, and their parts, and thoughts are getting more frequent. He is freaking out and thinks he may be gay, but says he isn't and will kill himself if that's what it is. I told him I think he may experiencing PTSD and subconscienously he's scared nwo of being with women. He doesn't exhibit any gay tendancies, and has never had these thoughts! Help! :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Let me get this straight. Your son breaks up with his sweetheart of three weeks, because she advised him she was HIV positive since birth. OK. He freaks out and is devastated. Check. Then he starts having "odd thoughts of men, and their parts!!!" WHAT??? And the thoughts are getting more frequent. So he's freaking out even more and "thinks he may be gay but says he isn't and will kill himself if that's what it is." YIKES!!! So you told him you think he's got PTSD and subsequently he's scared now of being with women. Oh my!!!

Mom, you've been watching way too much of that Rogaine-failure Dr. Phil on the television. Your son does not have post-traumatic stress disorder. Whether or not his true sexual orientation is gay, I cannot determine over the Internet. But I can tell you that boys who have teenage breakups do not suddenly begin having fantasies of male pee-pee parts! His fears of being gay are indeed common in young folks coming to terms with their gay sexual orientation.

For a variety of reasons, I strongly advise you have your son see a psychologist or psychiatrist. He clearly needs help with issues surrounding his thoughts/fantasies as well as sexual orientation. And why would he consider suicide if he were gay??? Mom, your son needs a more realistic world view of homosexuality as a normal (yes, normal) sexual orientation.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Sarah Palin
Next
Wanted to try again

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.