is qualitative immunoassay test accurate for detecting hiv?

hi dr. bob,

I've been writing to you almost everyday 3months ago but I haven't received any response so I decided to just read your forum just like what you advised to most of us.. I found the answers to my questions by reading your forum and I want to thank you for that..

So after almost 4months of having unprotected sex with someone I dont know the hiv status, I decided to go to the clinic and have myself tested for hiv. after an hour,I went back to get the result. I asked for the method they used and it says on the paper that it's QUALITATIVE IMMUNOASSAY. they say it's the same method use in pregnancy tests where in they will use a strip of paper etc.. I'm asking if they have Elisa but they used it instead. The result is nonreactive.What does it mean? Does it mean I am negative? Can I trust the method they used? Please Dr. Bob,tell me if I can stop worrying now and begin whoooooooing...thank you so much and your forum is really a big help.. Thank you sooooooooooo much!

After writing to me daily for three months, you finally decided to "check the archives" and found the answers to your questions! BRAVO! I can only hope other anxious daily posters (you know who you are!) will follow your lead.

Your four-month negative "qualitative immunoassay" is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. The immunoassay is essentially the same as an ELISA. You are Dr. Bob-certified WOO-HOOable. Congratulations.

Be well. Play safe. Stay well.

hiv poz partner
possible late seroconversion