The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

GF attacked and scratched, tested -ve, can I also be -ve?

Sep 6, 2008

Hi Doc

My gf was recently the victim of crime and due to her assailants scratching her the doc's put her on PEP and she was tested for hiv. She tested -ve. 4 months ago I had an exposure but never was tested, myself and my gf have had plenty of unprotected sex many times since my last potential exposure, yet she has tested -ve now, four months down the line, can this mean I am safe to?

I have learnt my lesson and will forever be safe from now on. I also know I need to get tested for 100% certainty, but i still want to lknow what you reckon my odds are?

Thank you for your awesome and super informative site. God bless.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Two quick points:

1. PEP is not warranted, due to scratches from an unknown assailant.

2. You cannot use your girlfriend's negative HIV test or negative HIV status to determine your status. The reason is that not all HIV exposures lead to HIV transmission. In fact, most do not. Hence, that you had unprotected sex with your girlfriend and she has tested negative is not proof that you are negative as well. By the way, if you had an HIV risk four months ago and are at all worried that you could be HIV positive, it's unconscionable that you elected to have unprotected sex with your girlfriend! It's time you manned-up, level with your girlfriend, accept responsibility for your actions and take your own HIV test!

Dr. Bob

an X worrier

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint