Educating my kids about STD's

Hey there everyone, I am one of those Dad's who actually talks to my older (14+ years of age!) about STD's pregnancies etc. I was recently called on the carpet by my middle son (18), after a discussion about condom use and what it protects from and what it may not, ie herpes, syphilis, HPV, the skin to skin contact type of STD's. Now with syphilis I thought Skin to skin meant an infected skin to any other skin type of contact and seeing a comdom doesn't cover everything, it was possible to transmit the disease even though one was trying to be safe with proper condom use., but he somehow looked over your site, and said "nope dad your wrong with syphilis, the body.com says there has to be a mucous membrane involved for the transmission to a new host. He then showed me and I showed what the CDC says but then I felt I might be wrong with my idea of what skin to skin contact really meant. I searched out your site and couldn't find anything that helped, but I have been known to miss things but I thought what the heck I'll send a note. So what exactly does skin to skin really mean, especially with the CDC site comments?

I had found the body.com a few years back when I wanted to be the sex ed guy in my kids lives, and when they were old enough I told them to look around for themselves and to see what others are dealing with. This has lead to many conversations and discussions that I don't think would ever have happened if your forum wasn't around. I am sure they have a better understanding about all of this but also a better compasion for those who are suffering or trying to deal with things. Kudos to everyone

The kudos belong to you dad and all the parents who actually provide their kids with age-appropriate, science-based sex education! (I'll bet Sarah Palin wishes she had had a birds and bees and condoms talk with her daughter Bristol!) Hopefully our country will be wise enough to elect Barrack Obama and the Democrats so that we can return science-based sex education to our schools.

Regarding your question, well, as it turns out, "father knows best!" Syphilis can be transmitted to mucous membranes or skin! I'll reprint some information from the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases below.

Be well. Stay well. Encourage your kids to discuss what they've learned with their friends. It may be the only real sex education they receive!

3rd time asking: My test results, my thanks, my reflection, my question (hope that you answer me)
Why a 400 fold dilution? (Roberto Giraldo AIDS DENIALIST)