Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sucking is great fun
Sep 2, 2008

Dear doctor, I'm a gay male who engages in cock sucking at the exclusion of any other sexual activity, and I do not intend to ever change that. I've met many gay men and I don' t know anyone who would use a condom in oral sex. The prevailing opinion is that condom reduces the pleasure of cock sucking. In fact, to my understanding sucking cock without a condom is widespread. As I understand from your forum and various other sources we are exposed only to a very low HIV risk when sucking without a condom. If not so a serious warning should be sent to the gay community because we all suck without a condom.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The risk of HIV from oral sex is very low. This has been known and widely accepted for many years. Certainly many folks (particularly gay men) have decided the low risk for oral; sex is "low enough" that they choose not to latex coat their penis Popsicles. If oral sex was indeed a significant risk, the incidence and prevalence of HIV would be skyrocketing. We must all decide what level of safety we are willing to accept based on what is known scientifically and our own particular levels of comfort. I tend to agree with you that many (? most) MSM don't suit up for a taste of Mr. Happy. (At least that's what my friends who frequent San Francisco's popular sex club called "Blow Buddies" tell me!)

Consequently, I do not feel a "serious warning" should be sent to the gay community; however, updating scientifically sound, factually accurate information so that everyone can make informed decisions continues to be warranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Irrational fears: they don't have to control you.
Next
TESTING IDIOT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.