90% test positive in 4 weeks???

Hey Doc! So I had unprotected oral (receptive and penetrative) with ejaculation and protected anal with a known hiv positive partner 4 weeks ago (didn't know his status at the time). I took an oraquick finger stick test today with a negative result. Now everything I read is pretty conflicting concerning the window period. I hear it's 85-90% accurate at 4 weeks, how true is this?? I've actually fallen for this hiv positive man, but my fears and anxiety about my own status are really making it difficult to pursue a magnetic relationship at this time. I really look forward to your response! Hope all is well with you and your magnetic love!!

Yes, all is well with me and my magnetic love. He's sitting next to me as I type this. We are at 38,000 feet inside a pressurized metal tube winging our way over Hurricane Gustav back to our beloved San Francisco at this very moment.

As for HIV-antibody tests, the technology continues to improve and, as a result, the window period is beginning to shrink. Some testing sites now consider six weeks to be definitive. However, since this site is read throughout the cyber-universe and not everyone has access to the very latest generations of HIV tests, plus I have absolutely no way of knowing exactly which type (or version of a specific type) of rapid test you (or many other questioners) have taken, the best I can offer is that the vast, vast majority of HIV-infected folks will develop detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks. However, there are still a small number of folks who may take longer to test positive. Consequently, the current guidelines recommending three months for a definitive result remain intact. I can't verify your 85-90%-accuracy at 4 week statistic for your "oraquick finger stick" test. But even if it is true, would you be satisfied knowing you still had a 10-15% chance of getting an inaccurate result? I certainly wouldn't. Consequently for now, I continue to recommend testing at three months.

As for your fears regarding Mr. Right (but poz), all I can tell you is that love conquers all and I'm sure glad Dr. Steve didn't give up on me because of my HIV positive status! Don't let Mr. Right get away for all the wrong reasons. Read through the chapter on magnetic couples in the archives. Communication is key. Opposites attract!

89 day woohoo and Obama
Irrational fears: they don't have to control you.