Please help me

I leave in Ethiopia. My husband living with HIV for 3 years. His CD4 is now 800 and viral load less than 40ML. I am HIV negative, I want to have a baby only with sexual intercourse know the baby can be safe with proper medicine but I am worrying that I will be infected. How much is the risk of transmission from him to me and is their any possible way decrease the risk and make a baby? Please help me what I can do? In my country sperm washing cant work. Please Dr., advise and help me.

RA

Hello R.A.,

Yes, there are ways to significantly decrease your risk of contracting HIV while getting pregnant. (See below.) You'll need to work closely with an HIV specialist (perhaps your husband's doctor) and an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician. If sperm washing and in utero or in vitro fertilization is not an option, you should work with your husband's HIV doctor to drive your husband's HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels with antiretroviral therapy. This will considerably decrease the risk of HIV transmission. The doctor will advise you of the correct time in your monthly cycle to have unprotected sex and thus maximize your chance of becoming pregnant while minimizing your unprotected exposure. In addition, you may consider taking PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) as additional level of protection to decrease potential HIV transmission risk. You can read more about all these options in the archives.

HIV+ couple want children Aug 30, 2008

My boyfriend had a false negative test and thus infected me, so now we are both HIV+ but dealing fine. Our healths are both good (we are not on any medication) and now we are considering having children. Since we discovered our status we have been using condoms, but my doctor says we can leave the condoms three days before and after ovulation in order to get pregnant, but it is a good idea to use them at other times. My boyfriends doctor says it is very important we use condoms at all times - obviously we will not be able to get pregnant that way... What is you oppinion on this? Thank you! Luise

Hello Luise,

I have addressed this issue many times in this forum. I'll post one example below. You can read much more in the archives. Have a look! I believe you can safely have children, but you'll need to work closely with a knowledgeable HIV specialist physician and an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician.

Good luck!

pregnacy Aug 20, 2008

i am hiv pos and would like to conceive the natural way. can i talk to my doc about what steps to take or if i have to be on certain medication before i start trying. and is it safe to give birth the natural way.

Having children is definitely an option for HIVers, but it requires careful planning with an HIV specialist and HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician. Sexual and nonsexual conception options are available to positive and magnetic couples:

1. Unprotected sex: If the man is positive and the woman is negative or vice versa, there is a risk of HIV transmission. But if the positive partner's HIV plasma viral load is undetectable, the risk of HIV transmission decreases significantly. Other ways to reduce the chance of transmission include pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), a short course of HIV drugs given to the negative partner before sex to reduce the chances of infection and timed intercourse so that unprotected sex occurs only during times of peak ovulation when chance for pregnancy is greatest.

2. Artificial insemination. In utero fertilization or IUF (placing a partner's or a donor's semen inside the vagina or uterus) or in vitro fertilization or IVF (mixing sperm with an egg in a test tube and then placing the fertilized egg in the uterus) are options. Sperm washing, whereby HIV is removed form the semen sample, can also be done before IUF or IVF if the man is positive.

Take a read through the archives of this forum. We have an entire chapter devoted to pregnancy that will provide further information.

pregnacy Aug 20, 2008

Feeling to DIE
89 day woohoo and Obama