The Bush Administration (BUSH, McCAIN, OBAMA POLICIES ON HIV/AIDS)

Just an opinion, but many believe and there are videos with experts, that Bush as well as other top political figures both Dem and Rep,as well as around the world does not want a cure for HIV or funding nor borders to pretect the USA simply because they want a trilateral union with very few people to control. I know your probably thinking, this guys a nut. I am republican but cant stand Bush and his ways. I personnaly feel the powers that we elect into office many are cold hearted bastards that want only one thing, power to control the people. Whats very heart breaking is Children are dying from this horrible desease as well as others. I am a Christian that tells people HIV is not a Gay issue but a human tragedy that must be stopped. Jesus loves all mankind and we must follow his example of unconditional love to each other and stop this evil that has been put on mankind. We need to shout from the roof tops with latest info that you share on here "God bless ya for it and he will" for all to get informed about HIV and encourage everyone to get tested. And of course we need to pray to our God for strength and guidence to find a vaccine. As God said once: Is there nothing I cannot do?

". . . videos with experts . . . ."???? Hmm . . . well then I guess it must be true, right? Oh wait, weren't there lots of "videos with experts" telling us Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and that George Dubya would be a great president and that global warming doesn't exist and that creationism is as scientific as evolution and, well, you get the picture. You are certainly welcome to your "beliefs," but I do not share all of yours. However, we certainly concur on King George the W!

I'm glad you realize HIV/AIDS is not a "gay issue" (it certainly isn't), but rather a "human tragedy" (it certainly is) and that you want folks to "get informed . . . and be tested." (BRAVO! again, we agree!) Prayers to God for strength and guidance to find a vaccine are fine; however, devoting more time, energy, resources and talent to find a cure may well be more effective. Despite being a Republican, you, I hope, will listen closely to what Barrack Obama and the Democrats are proposing for battling HIV/AIDS worldwide and also domestically. (See below.) I'm confident anyone who feels HIV/AIDS is an important issue here in the U.S. and/or worldwide will vote for Obama and the Democrats. (And they won't need "videos with experts" to convince them it's the right thing to do.)

Bush Policies Move Forward Aug 27, 2008

This question may be a little off topic, but since Bush policies are mentioned/come into play quite frequently I reasoned I'd mention it. Are you encouraged that president Bush has ended restrictions on the status of HIV+ immigrants and travelers, not to mention the huge push in funding for HIV aid/research abroad?

No, your question is not off topic. In fact, I've addressed this multiple times over Dubya's eight-year Reign of Error. I'll repost a sample from the archives below. (There is much more if you care to delve into the archives.)

Dr. Bob you are a whiner !! Jun 20, 2008

I always here you bitching about how the current president is battling the HIV epidemic, but compared to 90% of the world it seems to me that we are doing well. We have all the top therapies available, we have great doctors, we research the virus and provide other continents with antiretrovirals, what more do you want. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, maybe I'm wrong, if I am can you PLEASE let me know what more can be done?

GOD BLESS!

Rather than "whiner," I would prefer "faultfinder," because I find great fault and ineptitude when it comes to "W." In fact, medically we would diagnose him with "cranial-rectal inversion," which, of course, means he has his head up his butt. As for your comments:

1. "We have all the top therapies available." That "we" doesn't include those on waiting lists for the ADAP (AIDS Drugs Assistance Programs). And poz folks may have difficultly accessing any drug therapy if they are one of the 50 million Americans who are uninsured or the additional 25 million who are underinsured.

2. "We have great doctors." Again, great doctors can't help if you can't afford them or the therapies they prescribe.

3. "We research the virus." Not nearly enough! Progress could and should be much faster, but is limited by Bush's budgets, ban on stem-cell research, and the $5000.00 per second he is wasting on the Iraq debacle.

4. "We provide other continents with antiretrovirals." Giving credit where credit is due, Bush has made some progress in this area. Too bad he attached so many completely unreasonable strings to the aid. One third of the funds have to be used for abstinence-only sex prevention programs. (See below).

Now let's turn back to Bush's domestic HIV/AIDS program. Bush's fiscal year 2009 budget proposal would reduce funding for the Health Resources and Services Administration, which administers the Ryan White Program, by $1 billion from fiscal year 2008 levels! In addition, he calls for renewing the ban on city funding for needle exchange programs in Washington D.C. HIV experts agree the U.S. efforts to combat HIV/AIDS at home are uncoordinated with no national plan for comprehensive HIV prevention, treatment and support. Approximately half of the people in the U.S. who need HIV treatment are not receiving it due to a variety of factors (uninsured, underinsured, etc.). The number of new HIV infections each year in the U.S. has not decreased in over a decade, despite the fact HIV is now a totally preventable illness. This proves our prevention efforts are woefully inadequate. I could continue finding fault with Dubya's handling of the domestic response to HIV/AIDS, but I'm sure you would probably just consider it excessive whining instead of further elucidation of Bush's blunders. Consequently instead I will merely reprint below a small sample of additional comments from the archives.

Thanks for the "God Bless!" Ever wonder if the higher powers bless Dubya in light of his views on capital punishment, torture, the Iraq debacle and his inadequate response to HIV/AIDS? However, to bless or not to bless is not up to us, but pointing out Dubya's blunders certainly is!

HIV/AIDS Fight Remains High Priority for United States? Feb 27, 2008

Hi Dr.

Take a look to this statement http://www.america.gov/st/health-english/2007/May/20070522175313atiayduj0.4688532.html and tell us what do you think about it, is it true? I think that we are lossing the battle against VIH/AIDS, but then I remember your words "be positive" at all, just wait and will see that God has mercy for us.

Youve helped me in the past and now I read your posts everyday, is better than the newspaper. Regards.

A big fan. E.L.

Hi E.L.,

The truth is that Bush's much-lauded Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) has succeeded on some levels by providing life-sustaining antiretroviral drugs to some of those in need in selected countries. However, PEPFAR's abstinence-focused prevention programs have put many more lives in jeopardy. How does one judge a policy that sustains lives by providing treatment to some, but then promotes increased HIV-infection rates (and ultimately increased HIV/AIDS deaths) by insisting on policies that sabotage prevention? Under current policy one third of all PEPFAR money allocated to HIV prevention is specifically dedicated to abstinence-only campaigns often run by Bush's evangelical allies. These programs have been proven in study after study to be ineffective. HIV activists have spent the last two decades trying to show that condoms aren't just for prostitutes and the promiscuous. Bush has essentially undone much of this work!

Bush's record on combating the HIV/AIDS crisis in the U.S. can be added to a long list of his spectacular failures. From his waste of billions of taxpayer dollars on ineffective abstinence-until-marriage sex education programs to his failure to allow funds to be used for needle-exchange programs, which have been proven to reduce HIV infections, to his yearly budget cuts for HIV prevention and treatment programs, his legacy in this arena, like so many others, is one of failures with tragic consequences. The CDC will soon be revising the rate of annual new HIV infections in the U.S. from 40,000/year to 60,000/year! "You're doing a heck of a job, Bushie!"

Political Views? (BARACK OBAMA PLAN TO FIGHT HIV/AIDS) Aug 24, 2008

Hello Dr. Rob,

This is my first visit to your forum. I have read only a handful of your posts and have gotten a lot of valuable information from them. The one question that I have is regarding your political views. You are in a place to give so many people help, advice, and knowledge regarding hiv. I guess I'm just surprised to have read about 10 articles and 2 of them endorsed Obama. I am not up on the candidates' views of HIV. I guess it would help a lot of us if you would compare McCain's and Obama's views on the subject. I want to emphasize that I believe you are doing a wonderful thing by helping so many people with your wealth of knowledge. I just don't think that your personal political views should be brought up at every possible chance, including using your position to edorse Obama.

Thanks, Concerned

Welcome to the forum. I'm pleased that after reading "only a handful" of my responses you "have gotten a lot of valuable information." I encourage you to keep reading and continue learning! As for politics, unfortunately in this country politics is intimately linked to HIV/AIDS awareness, education, prevention and treatment access. Consequently, it does and will continue to come up fairly frequently in this forum, particularly with the presidential election only ten weeks away. We have had eight years of failed leadership on domestic HIV issues, including insufficient funding for the Ryan White Program, attempts to end Medicaid as an entitlement program, refusal to make important fixes to the Medicare Part D prescription drug benefit and wasting billions of taxpayer dollars on abstinence-only sex education programs that have been proven ineffective while failing to fund clean needle-exchange programs that have been scientifically proven to be very effective in decreasing HIV transmission, etc. The list goes on and on.

As for Obama versus McCain, I'd be delighted to review their stated policies. In McBush's (I mean McCain's) case, he has not called for a national AIDS strategy, which is a leading priority of hundreds of local, state and national HIV/AIDS groups. He also has not released an HIV/AIDS platform. By comparison, Future President Obama's HIV/AIDS platform includes both domestic and global components. I'll post his plan below.

On August 2, the CDC greatly increased its estimate of the number of new HIV infections in the U.S. each year from 40,000 to 56,000! Both candidates responded. I'll post their responses below. For anyone even remotely concerned about HIV/AIDS, the choice seems incredibly clear that Obama is the man to support.

I encourage you, a new forum reader, to keep reading, to get informed not only about the science of HIV/AIDS, but also the politics that greatly affect this pandemic. Yes, as an HIV physician specialist and as a person living with HIV, I absolutely support Obama. Once you've had a chance to review the facts, I'm confident you will as well.

Obama Responds to CDC Numbers on HIV/AIDS

Senator Obama released the following statement on the Center for Disease Control's report about new cases of HIV/AIDS in the United States.

"We have now learned that 56,300 new HIV infections occurred in the United States in 2006, not 40,000 that had been previously cited. These new figures should bring new focus to our efforts to address AIDS and HIV here at home.

"As president, I am committed to developing a National AIDS Strategy to decrease new HIV infections and improve health outcomes for Americans living with HIV/AIDS. Across the nation, we also need to prevent the spread of HIV and get people into treatment by expanding access to testing and comprehensive education programs. This report also demonstrates the need for more timely data about HIV transmission so that we can effectively evaluate prevention efforts.

"Combating HIV/AIDS also demands closing the gaps in opportunity that exist in our society so that we can strengthen our public health. We must also overcome the stigma that surrounds HIV/AIDS ? a stigma that is too often tied to homophobia. We need to encourage folks to get tested and accelerate HIV/AIDS research toward an effective cure because we have a moral obligation to join together to meet this challenge, and to do so with the urgency this epidemic demands."

Statement by John McCain on the CDC Report on HIV in America

ARLINGTON, Va. -- U.S. Senator John McCain today issued the following statement on the report by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that there were more new HIV infections in the United States than previously estimated:

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) yesterday announced that in 2006 there were 56,300 new HIV infections in United States -- significantly higher than the previous estimate of 40,000 cases. More than a million Americans live with this devastating disease. As President, I will work closely with non-profit, government, and private sector stakeholders to continue the fight against HIV/AIDS. By focusing efforts on reducing drug costs through greater market competition, promoting prevention efforts, encouraging testing, targeting communities with high infection rates, strengthening research and reducing disparities through effective public outreach, we as a nation can make great progress in fighting HIV/AIDS."

The Barack Obama Plan to Fight HIV/AIDS The following is a reprint of the Barack Obama Plan to Fight HIV/AIDS,

Barack Obama, Fighthing HIV/AIDS Worldwide

"We are all sick because of AIDS - and we are all tested by this crisis. It is a test not only of our willingness to respond, but of our ability to look past the artificial divisions and debates that have often shaped that response. When you go to places like Africa and you see this problem up close, you realize that it's not a question of either treatment or prevention or even what kind of prevention it is all of the above. It is not an issue of either science or values it is both. Yes, there must be more money spent on this disease. But there must also be a change in hearts and minds, in cultures and attitudes. Neither philanthropist nor scientist, neither government nor church, can solve this problem on their own - AIDS must be an all-hands-on-deck effort." -Barack Obama, World AIDS Day Speech, Lake Forest, CA, 12/1/06

BARACK OBAMA'S PLAN TO COMBAT GLOBAL HIV/AIDS

There are 40 million people across the planet infected with HIV/AIDS, including more than 1 million people in the U.S., with nearly 8,000 people dying every day of AIDS. Barack Obama believes that we must do more to fight the global HIV/AIDS pandemic, as well as malaria and tuberculosis. In 2006, Obama traveled to Kenya and, along with his wife Michelle, took an HIV/AIDS test to encourage African men and women to be tested for the disease. Obama believes in working across party lines to combat this epidemic and joined Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS) at a large California evangelical church to promote greater investment in the global AIDS battle. As president, Obama will continue to be a global leader in the fight against AIDS.

HIV/AIDS IN AMERICA

Develop a National HIV/AIDS Strategy: Obama has pledged that, in the first year of his presidency, he will develop and begin to implement a comprehensive national HIV/AIDS strategy that includes all federal agencies. The strategy will be designed to reduce HIV infections, increase access to care, and reduce HIV-related health disparities. His strategy will include measurable goals, timelines, and accountability mechanisms.

Fix the Nation's Health Care System: 47 million Americans are uninsured in this country. Barack Obama is committed to signing universal health care legislation by the end of his first term in office that ensures all Americans have high-quality, affordable health care coverage. Obama's plan will save a typical American family up to $2,500 every year on medical expenditures by providing affordable, comprehensive and portable health coverage for every American; modernizing the U.S. health care system to contain spiraling health care costs and improve the quality of patient care; and promoting prevention and strengthening public health to prevent disease and protect against natural and man-made disasters. His health plan will ensure that people living with HIV have access to lifesaving treatment and care.

Fight Disparities: HIV has hit some communities harder than others. For example, while African-Americans make up 13 percent of the U.S. population, they make up 49 percent of new HIV/AIDS cases. AIDS is the leading cause of death in African-American women aged 25-34, and the third leading cause of death in African-American men in the same age group. In 2005, 64 percent of women living with HIV/AIDS were black. Obama will tackle the root causes of health disparities by addressing differences in access to health coverage and promoting prevention and public health, both of which play a major role in addressing disparities. He will also challenge the medical system to eliminate inequities in health care through quality measurement and reporting, implementation of effective interventions such as patient navigation programs and diversification of the health workforce.

Improve Quality of Life for Those Living with HIV/AIDS: Obama is a strong supporter of the Ryan White Care Act (RWCA), which provides critical access to life-saving treatment and care for over half a million lowincome Americans with HIV/AIDS. The RWCA is one of the largest sources of federal funds for primary health care and support services for patients with HIV/AIDS. The bill was named after Ryan White, an Indiana teenager whose courageous struggle with HIV/AIDS helped educate the nation. Throughout the reauthorization process of the RWCA, Obama worked closely with RWCA service providers, the Chicago Department ofPublic Health, and the Illinois Department of Public Health to analyze and find ways to improve the program for Illinois and for the nation. Obama will continue to protect the multifaceted care upon which RWCA beneficiaries depend.

Assure Adequate and Safe Housing for Those Living With HIV: Obama supports increased funding for Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA) and other pertinent housing programs. These programs aim to assure that adequate and safe housing is available for all disabled and low-income people with HIV/AIDS in the U.S.

Expand Funding for Research: Barack Obama will expand funding for research, especially for prevention options including a vaccine and microbicides. Microbicides are a class of products currently under development that women apply topically to prevent transmission of HIV and other infections. Obama led an effort with Senator Olympia Snowe (R-ME) and others to introduce the Microbicide Development Act, which will accelerate the development of products that empower women in the battle against AIDS. In the United States, the percentage of women diagnosed with AIDS has quadrupled over the last 20 years. Today, women account for more than one quarter of all new HIV/AIDS diagnoses.

Promote AIDS Prevention: In addition to assuring access to treatment, Obama believes we need to increase the focus on preventing new infections. We cannot keep pace with treatment needs if we don't also focus on prevention. This means pursuing a strategy that relies on sound science and builds on what works. Obama supports comprehensive sex education that is age-appropriate. He supports increasing federal appropriations for science-based HIV prevention programs. Obama supports the JUSTICE Act, which would prevent transmission of HIV within the incarcerated population. He also supports legislation that would lift the ban on federal funding for needle exchange as a strategy to reduce HIV transmission among injection drug users and their partners and children.

Bring Medicaid Coverage to Low-Income, HIV-Positive Americans: Obama is a co-sponsor of the Early Treatment of HIV Act, which would provide Medicaid coverage to more low-income, HIV-positive Americans.

GLOBAL HIV/AIDS

Reauthorize and Revise PEPFAR: The U.S. has dramatically increased funding for global HIV and AIDS programs through the President's Emergency Program for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), but the program has faced controversy. Obama believes that our first priority should be to reauthorize PEPFAR when it expires in 2008 and rewrite much of the bill to allow best practices not ideology to drive funding for HIV/AIDS programs.

In addition, Obama supports adding an additional $1 billion a year in new money over the next five years to strengthen and expand the program to Southeast Asia, India, and Eastern Europe, where the pandemic is expanding.

Increase Investments for HIV Treatment: Barack Obama is committed to increasing U.S. investments in the capacity building needed to ensure that poor countries are able to develop the health care infrastructure necessary to prevent and treat HIV/AIDS, promote basic health care, reduce the spread of malaria and TB, and prevent and, if necessary, contain the spread of avian flu and other pandemics.

Increase Contribution to the Global Fund: Obama supports increasing U.S. contributions to the Global Fund for AIDS, malaria, and TB so that our assistance is coordinated with aid provided by other governments and private donors and so that the burden on poor countries is reduced.

Provide Access Through Trade: Barack Obama believes that people in developing countries living with HIV/AIDS should have access to safe, affordable generic drugs to treat HIV/AIDS. He will break the stranglehold that a few big drug and insurance companies have on these life-saving drugs. Obama supports the rights of sovereign nations to access quality-assured, low-cost generic medication to meet their pressing public health needs under the WTO's Declaration on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). He also supports the adoption of humanitarian licensing policies that ensure medications developed with U.S. taxpayer dollars are available off-patent in developing countries.

Achieve the Millennium Development Goals: As president, Barack Obama will double U.S. foreign assistance from $25 billion per year to $50 billion per year to ensure the U.S. does its share to meet the Millennium Development Goals, including halving the number of people who die of tuberculosis and/or are affected by malaria. In 2005, Obama cosponsored the International Cooperation to Meet the Millennium Development Goals Act. Barack Obama will target this new spending toward strategic goals, including helping the world's weakest states to build healthy and educated communities, reduce poverty, develop markets, and generate wealth. He will also help weak states to fight terrorism, halt the spread of deadly weapons, and build the health care infrastructure needed to prevent and treat HIV/AIDS as well as detect and contain outbreaks of avian influenza. Obama will dedicate as much funding to HIV/AIDS as possible without cutting into other critical foreign assistance programs to ensure a comprehensive fight against this global pandemic.

Reduce Debt of Developing Nations: Developing nations are amassing tremendous amounts of foreign debt that limit their economic development and make investments in public health, education, and infrastructure extremely difficult. Debt in Sub-Saharan Africa stands at $235 billion, 44 percent of the region's gross domestic product and an increase of 33 percent since 1990. Obama would work with other developed nations and multilateral institutions to cancel remaining onerous debt while pushing reforms to keep developing nations from slipping into fiscal ruin. Obama also would better coordinate trade and development policies to use the full range of America's economic power to help developing nations reap the benefits of the global trading system. Obama cosponsored the Multilateral Debt Relief Act of 2005 to provide multilateral debt relief to Heavily Indebted Poor Countries.

Message Parlor Intermammary Intercourse
Does longer wait for traditional test mean bad news?