major hypochondria last question i promise!

hi dr bob..we already know im a hypochondriac. however i have one last question that i would love for you to answer. the whole being pricked thing really bothers me. well my worst fear of course keeps happening. i was at work and pricked myself on this nail or somethign sticking out of the wall. now im worried that someone had done the same thing i did and im nervous i could have contracted something. i also have like a blood clot under my skin.it pricked me pretty deep. i know im irrational but is that even possible? or would someone have to prick themselves and then i would have to do it like directly after..please dont think im crazy even though i know you are. i just have a bad fear about it ! thankss! will continue to donate u are amazing.

Here are the important phrases from your post that highlight your problem:

1. ". . . my worst fear keeps happening . . . ."

2. ". . . I know I'm irrational . . . ."

3. ". . . I just have a bad fear about it!"

Your problem is not HIV, but rather fear of HIV! Your HIV-acquisition risk is once again completely nonexistent. I strongly advise you to get psychological/psychiatric help to once and for all confront and conquer your irrational and completely unwarranted fears of being HIV infected. It's the only way to prevent your "worst fears" from happening over and over. Hypochondria and irrational fears are both common and treatable conditions. I certainly don't think you are crazy. (John McCain is crazy for selecting Sarah Barracuda as a running mate! Now that qualifies as certifiably nuts!) I do, however, think you have a problem that requires attention.

Thanks for your donations to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). We'll continue to use them for HIV awareness, education, prevention and treatment. With increased HIV/AIDS awareness and knowledge, we can decrease the irrational fears and stigmatization that have surrounded this illness since it was first recognized more than a quarter century ago.

Be well. Stay well.

Is it probable that I have HIV?
Message Parlor Intermammary Intercourse