The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected Sex With No Ejaculation

Sep 2, 2008

Hi, The other night I had a sexual encounter with a man (I'm female). We were using condoms but then he claimed it to have fallen off. Therefore, we had unprotected sex but he did not ejaculate inside me. I do not know his status. I've read before that the jury is still out on if there is enough HIV in precum to transmit infection. Should I be worried about being infected if he didn't ejaculate inside me? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


"The jury is still out on whether there is enough HIV in precum to transmit infection????" WHAT??? Where did you read that? Perhaps in a magazine in your doctor's waiting room dated circa 1987??? Honey, the jury on whether precum contains active HIV and is capable of transmitting the infection has been in longer than Mark Foley and Larry Craig have been out. (In fact, longer than Elton John as well!) The jury's verdict was a resounding yes it can!

Your decision to have unprotected sex with or without the big "O" places you at risk for STDs, including HIV. The jury is unanimous on two counts:

1. Your decision was unwise and obviously uninformed. It's time to learn about HIV risk and prevention. Check out the wealth of information on these and other HIV-related topics on this Web site.

2. You'll need an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

will Semen culture will detect hiv virus in semen?
Hello Dr.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint