Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

will Semen culture will detect hiv virus in semen?
Sep 2, 2008

Hi Doc.

Its me again, I have mailed you my question earlier. but didnt receive any reply...

I am 34 yrs. I have been married for 4 years. I have no kid. Last week we had consult Doctor. He has asked me to take Semen Culture test. As he has analysis some infection in Semen. I would like to know whether Semen culture will detect hiv virus in semen.

My risk exposure is as follows:

8 months back I had sex with a girl of unknown status. I had sex with 2 condoms. While having sex, I kept of keeping watch of the status of condom. Before coming I had check the condom. It was ok. But after coming out, I forgot to check condom condition, whether there was any breakage/hole on condom.

2 / 3 weeks after this episode, I have developed abdominal pain in my stomach. Dry cough, body pain / joint pain (Fatique), loss of appetite completely. It last for more than a month. Consulted a doctor he informed as stomach infection and gave me some medication. However I have recovered.

But after more than 3 months, I have developed burning in my throat till my stomach, gastric problem, joint pain in arms and legs. Numbness in fingers and legs. Loss of appetite. Cough keeps on coming and going.

I am still having pain in legs...and arms. feel very much tried....

Kindly answer me atleast this time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

A routine semen culture test is not designed to detect HIV. Your doctor is most likely looking for a bacterial infection, possibly prostatitis.

My advice, if you have not already done so, is to level with both your doctor and wife regarding your extramarital indiscretion. It may well help your doctor diagnose your problem. Leveling with your wife is the best way to confront any guilt or anxiety you may be harboring about this experience and it's the right thing to do.

Your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. However, please note we do not recommend using two condoms ("double bagging"). The friction of latex rubbing on latex can increase the risk for condom failure. You can read more about this in the archives.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Viremia in the blood semen and gut
Next
Unprotected Sex With No Ejaculation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.