new hiv med Raltegravir looks good and is the future of hiv meds

Dr Bob, l read there is a new hiv drug on the market which is early in its stage called raltegravir and its a integrase inhibitor, a nother name for it could be isentress, the drug has no reported side effects... Dr Bob what do you know about this new drug ??? and how far away are we from meds with less side effects and are more durable hiv meds ??? thank you for your time Dr Bob, you are my hero

What do I know about Isentress (raltegravir)?? Well, I know it quite well. In fact, I just swallowed one!

Isentress is indeed an inhibitor of the HIV-1 integrase enzyme. This is a novel new mechanism of action for antiretroviral agents. It is not just another "me too" drug, which offers only a "new and improved" version of a drug or drug class we have been using in our treatment armamentarium for quite some time. In other words, this is a genuine advance in our ability to treat HIV/AIDS.

Isentress has been studied primarily in patients with extensive antiretroviral treatment experience. There was an astonishing rate of viral suppression in the BENCHMRK-1 and BENCHMRK-2 clinical trials of treatment-experienced patients who demonstrated significant resistance to the original three antiretroviral drug classes.

Drug-related adverse effects were practically nonexistent with Isentress in these clinical trials.

Isentress has been approved by the FDA and is now readily available for use. Side effects and intolerance remain negligible to date.

"How far away are we from HIV meds with less side effects that are more durable??" With the approval of Isentress, I'd say we are at least one giant step closer!!! Stay tuned to The Body. We'll keep you updated as new and novel treatments are developed and become available.

Be well.

HIV+ couple want children
Viremia in the blood semen and gut