Tonsillitis or ARS

Hello Robert,

I will make a donation to your foundation asap since i really appreciate what you are doing and i found tones of good information in the previous posts. thank you!

I know you said that only the elisa test after the 3months mark is a reliable indicator of hiv, but still, i cant sleep lately and would like your opinion.

i had unprotected sex (1o penetrations withouth ejaculation) 1 month ago with a 24 year old girl i dont know her status. 3 days after, i had white stuff coming out of my penis and was checked for gonorea and clamydia. i also started the treatment for both. i finally was tested negative, and the symptomes disapeared. i thought the whole story was a bit strange.

i had learned my lesson. but last week, my throat was hurting, my tonsils had white sutff on them, i had fever, night sweats and a few pimples on my chess and shoulders (4-5 pimples with white pu in them, can this be considered as a rash ?). i was really scared it could be ars. the doctor did a few tests and concluded it wasnt strept or mono. I am really scared its ars since nobody around me got tonsillitis and i read that the white on the tonsils is normally caused by a bacteria or EBS (and i was tested negative for both). the symptomes diseapeared after 4-5 days. but i feel really bad now and am extremely worried it is ars. i have an elisa test scheduled after 8 weeks and 12 weeks.

do you think the symptomes are a clear sign it can be ARS ? could it just be a coincidence.. ?

thanks for your help!

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently, HIV testing at the three-month mark is recommended.

"Symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Regarding your particular symptoms, the penile discharge you experienced three days after your sex-perience would not be related to HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). Symptoms associated with ARS following HIV primary infection take weeks, not days, to appear. Most likely, you contracted NSU (nonspecific urethritis) or NGU (nongonococcal urethritis) from your unsafe nookie.

As for your recent bout of tonsillitis and associated fever, sweats and "few pimples," please note these are extremely common ailments and the vast, vast, vast majority of symptoms such as these have absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

So, do I think your symptoms "are a clear sign of ARS?" No, absolutely not. Do I think they could be coincidental? Yes. That said, I still encourage you to continue on with your plan to get HIV tested at the three-month mark.

Finally, I'm glad you "found tones of good information" on this forum. Hopefully, along with the good sounds ("tones"), you also found "tons" of useful information!

Good luck. Be well. And remember never to place yourself at risk for HIV again, OK?

HIV Risk, have bad symptoms - Need Help
Test results/symptoms/fear