Worry drove me to ask!

Hi Doctor,

I'll keep this brief as you are clearly inundated with questions - I really hope you can answer me as I am worried sick. It's now 8 weeks since I had unprotected sex (I was top) with a guy of unknown status. I completed a 4 week PEP course and am awaiting the results of my 6 week post-exposure test. I am due to test again at 3 & 6 months. Problem now is my armpits feel strange and I think I could be imagining swollen lymph nodes just because I know they are a POSSIBLE symptom of HIV infection. So 2 questions - is it possible to "imagine" such symptoms? Finally, would they even be likely at 8 weeks post-exposure (or 4 weeks post-PEP)? Your honest, expert and informed opinion (and maybe a little of that renowned "karma") would be most appreciated.

Good health to you & all who come to you for your advice and support - you will probably never realise just HOW important you are to so many people around the world (Don't go getting a big head though!)

Thanks

1. Is it possible to "imagine" such symptoms? Absofrickinlutely! Just take a read through the archives and you will find many absolutely confounding "imaginations!" (We have a whole chapter devoted to "symptoms.")

2. Nope!

3. My opinions are always "honest!" Why would I answer any other way? Good karma signed, sealed and sent with my blessings.

Finally, as for my getting a big head, I just checked and all my hats (including my French beret and Italian fedora) fit just fine. So I guess I'm still OK.

arab ic country no one to help
HIV+ & HAD UNPROTECTED SEX